It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
(female)

andrea32225 HB Userandrea32225 HB Userandrea32225 HB User
no surgery yet

Hi everyone! I know it's been a while since I posted, but there's a darn good reason. First, my progress. I had a follow up with my doc (the ortho spiney) a couple of weeks ago and he added more PT, so I have 10 appts to go.

Now, here's the issue. Between Thanksgiving week and the week and a half before, I spent 12 days in the hospital. The best they could come up with was a UTI and a severe case of the flu that got me extremely dehydrated, left my potassium, magnesium,etc. low and screwed up my heart rhythm. It was to the point that a stress test of my heart was abnormal and suggested a blockage, meaning I had to undergo an urgent diagnostic heart cath. Thankfully, everything turned out OK, but I'm now scared to eat much for fear it will, well, you know.

This means I have very little strength and of course can't drive, which makes it even harder to get to my appts during hubby's busiest time of the year at work. I'm hoping to get one appt in next week, spend some time talking to my therapist, focus on gentle stretches, and see how it goes.

My husband has been my rock through all this. I am able to be upright and at the computer for small periods of time, so hopefully you'll start seeing some responses from me soon.

Hope everyone is healing nicely! I *THINK* I'm going to be able to avoid the fusion from the bits of discussion my surgeon and I have had - at least avoid it for now. I can honestly say I'm sick of hospitals!

The following user gives a hug of support to andrea32225:
cheryl1213 (12-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB User
Re: no surgery yet

My BF's mom was in the hospital for DAYS getting weaker and sicker (she'd been in a few times for infections but NEVER unable to lift a cup and always became totally "with it" after a day on antibiotics....this time got worse and didn't even remember folks coming to see her). After five days, I suggested it sounded like she needed more IV fluids since she couldn't eat. They hadn't had ANY IV in beyond the antibiotics....gave her saline and sugar and she perked up. Point: Amazing how much dehydration can impact you!

I am glad you feel better. And glad you have supportive hubby....I never realized how much having a non-supportive (read: questioned my pain) partner made things harder until I found a supportive guy. Give him a hug of thanks from your back board buddies for taking care of you since we can't!!

The Following User Says Thank You to cheryl1213 For This Useful Post:
andrea32225 (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Wow, Andrea. You've really been through the wringer. I'd been thinking about you, wondering how you were doing. I must admit, I was only focusing on your back issues!! So glad your heart was OK. Sounds like you were too ill to even think about back pain for a bit.

Hope you are feeling well enough now that you can enjoy the upcoming holidays.

Please keep updating so we know how you are doing! That's the worst thing about these forums -- you can't keep up with people if they aren't online too.

Cheers ~

TT

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
andrea32225 (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
(female)

andrea32225 HB Userandrea32225 HB Userandrea32225 HB User

The hospital did a good job of keeping me as comfy as they could - I got 10mg of oxy morning and night along with phenergan each time so it didn't upset my stomach. Only once did I need something to supplement that, and it was in my chart so they didn't even have to call the doc. The worst was on my first admission when they kept making me take potassium pills - even broken in half they are HUGE. They also gave me bathroom privileges right from the start - just unplug the IV pump.

My parents and 17yo son made the drive from Atlanta to spend Thanksgiving Day with me - they started the trip as soon as they heard I was having the heart cath. I got to see my son in his Army National Guard uniform for the first time.

I'm still fighting to get my strength back and progress much beyond jello and juice right now. Hubby and I did make my first big trip out of the house tonight - to the grocery store (yes, I drove one of the carts around) and I'll make my first trip to church tomorrow night to thank everyone there.

Thanks to all of you for your support and caring. I'm no where near back to "normal", but I only have one bruise (from all the blood draws and IV attempts) left, and it will be gone soon. I just hope I am able to enjoy Christmas dinner!

Old 12-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB User

Non-back, Andrea --- the BF is in the Air National Guard. He's full-time with them so the uniform is every day....I like when he wears the dress blues (every other Mon)!

But the funniest story was when he was prepping for a quick out-of-town trip and I had a toilet emergency (which, ummm, was really HIS doing....). We only have 1 bathroom so it was a bigger deal and plunging was NOT cutting it. I'd told him and he suggested a new plugner which I tried. Was on the phone w/ a service guy since I thought the BF had left town when in comes the boy...all in the camos, runs in, kisses me, fixes the toilet, and leaves for the trip. It was my very own National Guard toilet rescue mission!

I suppose he will let me still be your online friend....even though they have a little rivalry with the Army NG folks :P He also joined at 17, was a part-timer for a long time and then moved to a career position. We're in Central PA....though I did live in ATL for 4y and loved it.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
(female)

Cymrudenver HB UserCymrudenver HB UserCymrudenver HB UserCymrudenver HB User

Oh my Andrea, I'm just catching up. How are you doing? I'm so sorry about all you've been through
RF Ablation Rt & Lt two level
Discogram
TLIF scheduled 9/26/11

Closed Thread