It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
(female)

jovithalbraj HB User
help with mri results

URGENT:need complete meaning and what exactly the problem is for the result of this MRI
[B][U]MRI OF CERVICAL SPINE[/U][/B]
PROTOCOL:
[U]CERVICAL SPINE:[/U] [U] BRACHIALPLEXUS[/U]
AXIAL-SE T1,FSE T2 CORONAL-SE T1
SAGITTAL-SE T1,FSE T2
[U][B]OBSERVATIONS[/B]:[/U]
-Mild postero-central protrusion of c3-c4,c4-c5 intervertebral discs is seen with thecal sac impression.
-Mild broad posterior protrusion of c5-c6 intervertebral disc is seen effacing the thecal sac and lateral recess bilaterally.
-Mild broad posterior,moderate right paracentral disc protrusion are seen at c6-c7 level indenting the cord and right c7 lateral recess roots.
-the cervical cord shows normal dimensions with no intrinsic signal alteration.
-no gross facetal or uncovertebral arthropathy is detectable.
-the visualised vertebral marrow shows no pathological signal alteration.
-pre and paravertebral soft tissue appear normal.
-cvj morphology is within normal limits.
- no chiari malformation is seen.
[U[B]]BRACHIAL PLEXUS[/B]:[/U]
- Brachial plexus roots,trunks and proximal divisions appear normal.
[U[B]]EXTENDED VISUALIZED FIELD[/B][/U]
[U]Dorsal Spine[/U]
-Antero -lateral disc protrusion with adjoining endplate osteophytes are seen in the mid-dorsal spine.No intrinsic signal alteration are seen in the cord.
[U][B]Lumbar Spine:[/B][/U]
-lumbosacral transitional vertebra noted(sacralization of L5 vertebral body)
-Mild broad posterior disc protrusion is seen at L2-L3 LEVEL effacing the thecal sac and lateral recess bilaterally.
-Mild broad posterior ,moderate right for lateral disc protrusion are seen at l3-l4 levels effacing the thecal sac,both lateral recess and right extra forminal space.
-facetal arthrosis is seen at L4-l5 level bilaterally.
[U][B]IMPRESSION[/B][/U]
- MILD postero-central disc protrusion atc3-c4,c4-c5 levels
-Mild broad posterior protrusion of c5-c6 intervertebral disc.
-Mild broad posterior,moderate right paracentral disc protrusions at c6-c7 level.

Last edited by jovithalbraj; 12-07-2011 at 02:49 AM. Reason: UNDERLINE NOT DONE CORRECTLY

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: help with mri results

Hi....I thought I'd jump in since the major problem is in the cervical spine. Most of us cervical people are on the Spinal Cord Disorders board and not the Back Problems board so Teri....if you want to jump in and add to the lumbar portion, please do. I'll try my best with both.

Cervical:

- at C3-4 and C4-5, you have disks that are bulging backward toward your spinal cord. But they are not touching your cord but do touch the membrane that overs the spinal cord and makes a indentation in the spinal fluid that separates the membrane from the cord.

- At C5-6, you have a similar situation with a bulging disk hitting the membrane that covers your spinal cord but not the cord. However, it always pushes out into the sides of the canal, but it not touching anything there.

- at C6-7, you have another bulging disk and this time to not only hits the membrane but it does hit the spinal cord itself. However, the sentence below says that the cord is normal in size so it is hitting it but not making it compressed. The disk is also hitting the nerves that exit from the cord to your right arm at the C7 level but if I read this right, it is considered a mild compression.

- Your spinal cord is of normal dimensions and appears to be normal

- No arthritis in the facet or uncovertebral joints which are tiny joints that come off the sides and back of the main vertebrae

- last 4 sentences basically say they see no problems in any of the other areas of your neck

Brachail Plexus appears normal

Lumbar:

- the very last vertebra in the back is L5 and in some people, it can be attached to the sacrum(S1) and in your case, it is. Probably formed that way when your spine calcified as a child.

- L2-3 has another bulging disk that has pushed back into the canal and is touching that thecal sac again and pushing into both sides of the spinal canal but is not touching the nerves.

-L3-4 has another bulging disk that is touching that membrane and has pushed into the sides of the canal and on top of it, is bulging outside of the canal space. Does not appear to be hitting any nerves however.

- Arthritis is seen in the facet joints on both sides of the back of the vertebrae.

One big way to know how bad things are is when you see any of the following words....Minimal, Mild, Moderate or Severe. That is how they rate the amount of compression or blockage. Almost everything they found was MILD......and that is good. Even Moderate is not bad depending on the situation. When these change to Severe, then you are in trouble and may need surgery to relieve the pressure or blockage. Moderate compression of the spinal cord in the neck may require surgery but you don't have that anywhere. You may have a "moderate" disk bulge(tells them the size) but it does not compress your spinal cord. The spinal cord is normally about 11-12mms wide in the neck and can be compressed down to 6 mms before it needs surgery. Yours is full thickness.

Your neck and back are not good but do not appear to need surgery from all the MRI's I've read. Probably giving you a lot of pain but pain management can help that as can physical therapy.

Hope this helps you. And Teri...I'd love any additions you can add.

Jenny

-

Closed Thread