It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
(female)

memaeve HB User
Lower back pain update

Hi,
I posted for the first time a few weeks in a thread about my clothes making my back pain much worse, despite the fact that I can put pressure all over my back and glutes with my hands and that provides relief.
Earlier this week I saw a neurosurgeon who told me that the disc bulge I have at L4-L5 is compressing a nerve and he referred to it as a form of stenosis (thank you, tetonteri66 - you had told me to look into this). I have been booked in for epidural injections in two weeks.
While I am very much looking forward to them, I am also anxious about getting my hopes up. Has anyone had a similar experience/diagnosis?
I did have steroid and anaesthetic injections before, after being told the problem was in the facet joint, but they made no difference.
I just don't know who to listen to, I've had so many different diagnoses given to me over the past few years! :/
Thank you in advance to anyone who can advise me!
Maeve

Old 12-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Lower back pain update

I'm glad you had a "head's up" on the term, "stenosis," and as a result, had some idea what the neurosurgeon was describing to you.

You will find that results from steroid injections can vary widely. My particular condition never responded to them, but I have had friends who've had wonderful results...so I think you'll just have to keep your fingers crossed that you are one of the lucky ones!

One little word of advice I have for you that most likely you will NOT hear from a doctor is, if at all possible, arrange your schedule so you are free to rest for 48 hours after the injection.

Usually the patient is told to take it easy for the rest of the day and then resume normal activities. However, to maximize the chances of the injection working, it is best if you can be a couch potato for the first 36 or 48 hours (or as long as possible). Unlike shooting cortisone into a specific area like a knee, hip or elbow, the ESI is floated into an area near the whatever is believed to be the pain generator. Since it is a more generalized area, there is nothing to hold the medicine in place, like injecting into a specific muscle, etc. If you get up and move around, the heart pumps more, and as a result, the medication is dissipated more quickly from the injection site. If you just lie around and sleep or have minimal activity, the medication stays in the area for a longer period of time, and thus, has a greater chance to "work."

I went to several doctors for ESIs and nerve blocks, and never had any reaction whatsoever to the medication. Then I started going to a third doctor who was very strict with his patients, insisting they cancel all activities and rest for 48 hours. Perhaps it was just coincidental, but for the first time, I had a reaction to the injection and had some pain relief. I also have a chiropractor friend whose husband suffers from severe spine problems, and she told me the same thing. I figure it makes sense to me, and also, it is easy enough to do that I willing to give it the benefit of doubt -- anything that might help is worth trying.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
(female)

persevere330 HB User

Hi there,
I had too much of my facet joint removed by my first doctor. Less, than a year, I had my second surgery. I herninated a disc in the healing process,and have a lot of built up scar tissue hitting my nerve. I have been living with Sciatica for over three years.
I have been doing rolphing. I have slept three night with only taking Gababentin. It is nerve block. Before rolphing, I was up two to three times a night taking major drugs. I still have pain when I sit. I am now hopeful. I wouldn't discuss it with your doc, because they just want to push surgery,and narcs. Maybe the injections will help you. I did four of them,and I did not have any relief. Good luck!

Old 12-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
(female)

memaeve HB User

Hi,
Thank you both for your replies. I had the injections today and am home now and resting. In the hour immediately after the injections I had to do some moving around -hope that doesn't limit the effects - but now I intend to rest for the next two days.
Fingers crossed now, I guess!
Maeve

The following user gives a hug of support to memaeve:
cheryl1213 (12-20-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
(female)

persevere330 HB User

Did you ask Santa for a new back? I sure did! I hope the injection works. I wish I would have done every conservative way out there, instead of two failed surgeries.
My fingers,are crossed for you too.
Keep us all posted.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
(female)

memaeve HB User

Thank you. I should indeed ask for a new back, we all should.
I did some walking today, although I know I shouldn't have. I'm really worried now that I may have done damage. It really wasn't much though, and I was very slow. Being lazy now for the rest of the day so hopefully that helps.
Maeve

Old 12-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

The more you are on your feet, the more the medicine will dissipate quickly and it will have less of an effect.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
(female)

memaeve HB User

I had spent the first 24 hours straight either sitting or lying down, with the exception of necessary trips to different rooms! And I've been doing the same again this evening.
Maeve

Old 12-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
(female)

persevere330 HB User

Hi,
How are you feeling now? I was up all night taking pain meds. Pain clinic wants me on methadone three times a day. I am worried that I wouldn't be able to function. I tried it twice a day,and it made me sick to my stomach. My pain is chronic. I am not sure how to do this health boards. I asked if anyone had good results from the neuro stim,and did not get a response. Also where are the threads from 2011?
I would appreciate it if someone can direct me where to go for answers. I feel like chatting with people with back issues helps me deal. It really sucks when I feel like life is just going through the motion,and not enjoying it at all. Thanks .

Old 12-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

On the top left side of the page is a "search" box. If you type in "spinal cord stimulator" any number of past threads should pop up.

Otherwise, threads are in chronological order. On the bottom right corner are the numbers beginning with the current page being #1, and going back in time.

You haven't had any replies to your post because no one that is currently active on the back board has a SCS. A couple people are in the process of looking into one, but have not yet made a decision. People aren't ignoring you -- they just didn't have any information or personal experience to contribute. Sorry.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
(female)

persevere330 HB User

Thanks,
I actually knew you were the one that would reply to me. You know everything. Another thing is when I want to check spelling ,or font etc,, It doesn't work.
What have you heard about the neurostim? One doc said do the trail, the other one said I have too much scar tissue. Remember when I shared with you how excited I was because I was only taking two nerve blocks, and slept through the night? I thought the rolphing was my blessing. Now I am still up three times a night taking something to try to go back to sleep. In the morning I feel like a zombie. If I were elderly, I would chalk it up to old age. I am not, and I can't even swim without making my Sciatica 100 times worse. I just can't get a grip. I am so depressed, and just want to double up on my meds to sleep. I am not looking forward to the new year. I just might quit fighting next year. I don't think anyone is ignoring me. I can actually call people that are living and loving life again for having that thing implanted.
Take care

Old 12-25-2011, 07:05 AM   #12
(female)

memaeve HB User

Hi,
I'm feeling alright. No significant change as of yet, but I guess I won't know anything for a few weeks. I haven't been doing much with the week that's in it, so for that reason my back hasn't been bad.
Sorry to hear you're in so much pain, persevere330. It does seem a lot more serious than my problem given the medication you're on, but I can still sympathise with how you feel about it. I go through phases of being seriously depressed about the fact that I feel I'm no closer to getting to the bottom of my problem. But then I have weeks where it hurts as much as ever but I just feel more positive about it and I get on with things. Try to stay positive, and fight!
All the best for the holidays,
Maeve

Old 12-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #13
(female)

memaeve HB User

Oops, double post.

Last edited by memaeve; 12-25-2011 at 07:07 AM.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #14
(female)

persevere330 HB User

Maybe a miracle will happen to all of us that suffer from our backs.
Merry Christmas, and Happy Holiday's to all!
And you keep fighting to do everything,and anything, but surgery.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
(female)

persevere330 HB User

Oh shoot, I hope I don't get kicked off for giving you advice,and wishing all a MC

Closed Thread