It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

efang HB Userefang HB User
Should I need to see the Neurology now? three years right leg pain

I have had pain on right leg for more than three years . My first MRI showed that I have L5_S1 disc herniated when the pain started three years ago and I did second and third MRI 6 months later which showed the disc size is reduced a lot. But I am still having constant minor leg pain and there is almost no change. I have done several kinds of treatment and it seems no any help to me.
Recently, I did a discogram in Oct 11 , but all tested I was done shows negative, my doctor couldnít find any disc causes my current leg pain. He gave me a referral and asked my to see a Neurology because he said my old EMG report shows I had nerve damage , so he may think Neurology doctor can find something. He emphasized right now no surgery can help me .
I just want to know in my case what kind of test or treatment that Neurology can do but Pain management canít ? I donít know why my pain management doctor didnít want to repeat a new EMG for me since he think old one find the problem? I just donít want to see a new doctor and he repeat all tests which I did to me but still canít give to me a clear conclusion. and let me waste a lot of time.
I was planning to put this message to ď NeurologyĒ board but I saw a lot of messages was there but hardly got reply. I don't know why So I still put this message here.

Thanks! .

Old 12-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Should I need to see the Neurology now? three years right leg pain

I think this is the correct board for your issues, since it sounds like your pain generator is in your back.

It is probably a good idea to have another EMG...but it does sound like you are being passed around among doctors because no one can find the definitive reason for your pain.

If you haven't done so already, you should get copies of all your tests, including CDs of the MRI. Start a file where you will put all copies of your medical records. This way, when you see a new neurologist, you will have copies of the MRIs to take along for his/her review. Just call the place where you had the MRI done. You will have to sign some sort of release, but, by law, you are entitled to copies of your medical records, including all imaging.

If your current pain management doctor is not taking your pain seriously, perhaps you need to find a different doctor. Sometimes one doctor will hit a dead end in his own imagination and cannot think what might be causing your pain in a new way. Sometimes a new set of eyes and ears will need to some new things to try, etc.

There are many other causes of radiating pain other than discs. You may have a degenerative facet joint for example, or some instability at that L5-S1 level which is causing the leg pain. Have you had a flexion/extension X-ray, for example, to check for instability? But, just because a disc herniation is smaller than it was, this does not mean that it is NOT causing pain.

Pain at the L5-S1 segment can be ruled in or out by having a diagnostic nerve block or an injection into the facet joint itself.

Sometimes as a patient, we have to be very persistent in attempting to find answers to what is causing our pain. If the answer isn't immediately obvious, some doctors seem to lose interest. Then the patient has to go back and ask "what else can we try?" or, perhaps, try a different doctor.

Don't give up. You deserve to have some answers, and some relief from your leg pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

I already have collected all MRI ,CT reported and films , so I am ready to see now doctor , this is not a problem.
I didnít one time flexion/extension X-ray and didnít find I have instability.
I still like my Pain management doctor , I saw three PM and he is the only one I like to talk to him.He did two time Epidural and one time discogram to me, but now I think he is really couldnít give me an answer instead of not taking mine pain seriously. I think I will be back after seeing neurologist.

Thanks!

Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Oh good. That will make things easier if you already have all your records.

If you like your pm doc, then by all means go back to him, with the records from the neurologist and just ask him "what shall we do next?"

Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

I will see the Neurology on Wednesday. I think he may let me just do EMG again.
Thanks!

Closed Thread