It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
(female)

MICHELLE7474 HB User
Low back pain

11 months ago I had a lumbar MRI - went through 3 steroid injections and been on Ultram 50mg 1-2 3Xday and Skelaxin 800mg 1 2xday in the last week im experiencing pain again the results of MRI were: Asymmetric disc bulge with associated osteophyte on the left at L4-L5 and there is moderate to severe left neural foramen stenosis. I'm only 37 and am wondering exactly what this means ?? I wondering if this is something that will keep acting up for the rest of my life ? Will it get worse ? I should mention that now I take Skelaxin 800mg 4Xday.

Last edited by MICHELLE7474; 12-14-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Low back pain

Basically, there is a disc bulge in your lumbar spine between the lumbar 4 and 5 vertebrae on the left side that is probably compressing a lumbar nerve at this level, resulting in the pain you are experiencing. It is bulging into the foramen at this level. The foramen is an opening at each vertebra that is formed by the vertebral body and its arch through which the spinal nerve passes out to the body. When an osteophyte (bone spur) forms on a vertebral endplate or facet joint, and/or when a disc bulges outward, it can take up space in this opening, providing less room for the nerve. This leads to the spinal nerve becoming compressed or "pinched." Depending on where this occurs, the patient will feel pain radiating down or out to a limb. I imagine you are feeling pain in your buttock and leg, if the compression is severe enough.

You will be treated with conservative measures, in an attempt to get the bulge to move off the nerve. This may include medications, physical therapy and possibly steroid injections that will reduce inflammation and hopefully, allow the bulge to heal.

When you begin to form osteophytes, it means that there is disc degeneration, which is something that happens to all of us as we age. Unfortunately aging in the human spine begins in our twenties...so you aren't too young to have some issues.

Unlike a disc bulge which may go away on its own, or shrink enough that it moves off the nerve, an osteophyte is pretty much there to stay. Depending on how it is impacting a nerve, it may cause pain some times or all the time. Usually osteophytes tend to enlarge or similar ones form.

The term "bone spur" makes it sound like this osteophyte is rough or jagged. But, in reality, it is smooth and simply means that the bone is enlarging. It is not painful by itself. Pain develops when the bone spur gets in the way of a spinal nerve.

The time may come when you will need to have surgery to open up the space if a nerve becomes too badly compressed. Or you may do just fine with conservative treatments.

You can find lots of information on this, or other sites, on osteophytes/bone spurs. My guess is that it is the osteophyte, more than the bulging disc, that is causing your pain symptoms.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
MICHELLE7474 (12-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread