It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
(female)

azfemale HB User
2nd day post op PLIF

Well I made it! I'm on pain meds so if my spelling is bad, I apologise. I was able to stand and walk that first evening. Yesterday I had to get up and walk at least 5 times. For me it was nice to get up out of bed and get moving. Baby steps down the hall holding my hubbys hand. This morning I'm really starting to feel the aches and pains.

They have me on pain meds, antibiotics, muscle relaxer, and an iron pill.

anyway I just wanted to write an update.

Drea

Old 12-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB User
Re: 2nd day post op PLIF

Rest up...get that walking in but mostly just heal! The early days are tough but they DO pass...recovery is long but it is NOT all as rough as those first week

The Following User Says Thank You to cheryl1213 For This Useful Post:
azfemale (12-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
(female)

azfemale HB User

Well I'm on day 3. Came home yesterday evening. Boy getting in the car was tricky! I haven't slept much since the surgery. It's been more like dozing on and off all day and night. I'm really really sore and have some edema in my legs and foot. I started having muscle spasms and twitches last night too. I've been keeping up on my pain meds and muscle relaxers. My walker will be here tomorrow morning. I'm very unsteady and shaky. I don't know any other little tricks to try to be more comfortable. Any advice would be appreciated. I had a comode delivered and its been helpful in the bathroom.

Andrea

Old 12-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Hi Andrea ~

You've made it through the worst of it, and now begin the journey to eventually feeling better. Unfortunately recovery is a long haul and you will need to develop patience along the way, as it does not always continue on a straight path. Don't be discouraged if you sometimes find yourself going two steps forward and one back. This is perfectly normal, if frustrating.

Be sure to use your walker as needed. The last thing you want to do is have your legs go weak on you and collapse, or take a fall.

Be sure to drink lots of fluids and don't let yourself get constipated, a frequent problem after surgery and when on pain meds.

I found after my first fusion that I didn't sleep more than three or four hours at a time. So I didn't worry about it. I let myself be on a 24 hour schedule. When looking at it that way, I was getting plenty of rest. It just wasn't in 8 hour blocks! I had my surgery in January and remember watching a lot of the Australian Open Tennis tournament live, as I was always awake around 3 am. Of course this schedule isn't a possibility if there are kids that need caring for.

For now, it is important to take your medications on time, as prescribed by your surgeon. Drink lots of water and get plenty of rest. Also remember to walk. It is better at this point to take a number of short walks --length and duration are not important. The purpose of walking in the first six weeks is to stretch out the spinal nerves. During this time, scar tissue will be forming. Walking helps to prevent the scar tissue from attaching to a nerve as it is filling in and forming....I would plan my walks to coincide with my trips to the bathroom. I could just walk inside (again, Jan. in the frozen northland), so I would use the bathroom and then walk around the first floor of my house for five or ten minutes at the beginning....then back to bed to nap, or to recline and read or watch TV, etc.

Did your surgeon tell you to limit the amount of time you spend sitting? Many will say limit sitting to 15-20 minutes at a time. Sitting puts 30% more stress on the discs than either standing or lying down. Particularly after fusion, it is important to not sit for long.

Let's see...I'm sure there are tons more things to say, but, I think it will be easier if you just bring your questions to the board as they arise. It is hard to know which tips you might be interested in.

Good luck! Try to maintain a positive attitude and get plenty of rest. Allow yourself to be waited on, and learn to listen to your body. And post with any questions or comments! There are lots of folks on here who have had fusions, and who will be happy to add their words of wisdom!

Old 12-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
(female)

azfemale HB User

Thanks tetonteri66! I haven't been sitting at all. I was on the recliner yesterday for a bit, but the bed is more comfortable for me. Luckily I don't have little ones to care for. Mine are 10, 13, and 13. They have been very helpful. My husband has been amazing for me. Doing every little thing to make sure I'm comfortable.

Today is the first day I will be alone. I can get out of bed myself and my hubby made sure I can reach any food I will be making today. We have a pretty big house so i am able to walk quite a bit. I usually walk after my potty break... figure I'm up, might as well get it out of the way.

I will be getting my staples out early. My neurosurgeon's office will be closed the week of Christmas. When he takes the staples out, he's going to put steri strips over the wound. Does it hurt to get the staples out?

I can't wait to get my walker today. We have dogs and one of them likes to be under foot. I've already almost tripped over her twice. So having the walker will be very helpful.

I'm enjoying my quiet time today. I'm constantly dozing off still. I think while writing this I've dozed of at least 3x! LOL

Closed Thread