It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
(male)

Chris5566 HB User
Please Please Help

On Dec 16th 2012 I Went Under The Knife And Had This Procedure Done Verbatim From My Medical Chart.... [COLOR="Blue"]Nervous System: Laminotomy (hemilaminectomy), With Decompression Of Nerve Root(s), Including Partial Facetectomy, Foraminotomy And/or Excision Of Herniated Intervertebral Disk; One Interspace, Lumbar[/COLOR],

My Question Is Should I Be Pain Free 5 Days Out Of Surgery , Or Because Of All The Cutting,Scrapping Etc Etc I Should Expect Some Discomfort Still , I'm Impatient And Confused ,Please Help Thanks

Chris

Old 12-21-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
(male)

Chris5566 HB User
Re: Please Please Help

75 Views And No 1 Has Any Insight

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
(male)

Bigphil HB UserBigphil HB UserBigphil HB UserBigphil HB UserBigphil HB User

OFC u should still be in pain.. The nerves were disturbed and moved around. I am sure a lot is surgical pain. I had a TLIF fusion and it was around week 4 before the surgical pain eased. I am 1 year from surgery and still have a lot of pain. Most is from the stress put on my SI Joint. I will go under the knife 2-8 to have the SI Joint fused. It is a long process to heal and be somewhat pain free. Hang in there!!

Old 12-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
(male)

Chris5566 HB User

Thank You , And Yes It Is A Long Process

Old 12-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Welcome to the board. I can account for at least several of those clicks on your post. I have read it several times and couldn't decide how to respond. Until I saw your second post this morning, I didn't think your first post was asking a serious question.

Did your surgeon not tell you what he was going to be doing prior to surgery or provide you with information about your recovery? If not,I would think he was negligent in his duties. Removing part of the bone from your spine is serious surgery, and you as a patient need to know what is involved and what you can expect during recovery.

Do you know if you had a discectomy? At what level was your surgery? What were your symptoms prior to surgery? Did you have pain that radiated into a limb? If you can provide a bit more information, people will be better able to provide some suggestions for you.

I hope your surgeon told you that you should be walking as much as is tolerated. Walking is very important in the early days of recovery and in rehab in general. If you had a lumbar surgery, it is important to keep the spinal nerves stretched out, particularly when scar tissue is beginning to form, which generally occurs during the first twelve weeks. Walking helps to keep scar tissue from attaching to a spinal nerve as it is growing in. Also it brings freshly oxygenated blood to an area that otherwise has few blood vessels.

You will want to avoid any activity that involves bending or twisting at the waist, pushing, pulling, reaching up overhead or to the side, anything jarring or jolting...like riding on a rough road, and of course, you shouldn't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk. You will want to really baby yourself for about the first six to eight weeks...and then, depending on how you are feeling, gradually add in activity as tolerated.

Sitting should be limited to 15-20 minutes at a time, particularly in the early weeks and months. Sitting puts 30% more stress on the spine than any other position.

If you're taking pain meds, be sure to drink lots of water and other fluids, and eat a high fiber diet as the meds are constipating.

You can use an ice pack or cold gel pack for pain. Just don't place it on top of the incision -- just use in the surrounding area until the incision is completely healed.

Please let us know if you had a discectomy. Try to develop some patience. It seems like all spine surgeries take longer to heal than any of us think they should. The immediate surgical pain should lessen in a week or so, but then there is still a lot of internal healing that will go on for a long time. And often, back surgeries do not resolve a patient's pain completely...so you should be prepared for that possibility.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
(male)

Chris5566 HB User

Yes There Was A Hemilaminectomy AND Disectomy , Yea I Was instructed to be up and walking as much as i can tolerate, climbing stairs was encouraged, My surgeon said i would be sore and what not but as a newbie to surgery AFTERWARDS i think i freaked myself thinking "oh know theres pain did the surgery work and trying to dechiper what pains was caused by what and what was going to go away with time and what was going to stay , i spent so much time with the pain shooting down my left leg ,butt cheek that it was crippling and altered the way i walked for 11 months which eventually caused more pain else where so as i attempt to walk normal i find im hesitant based on 11 months of walking a different way, basically i was just curious as to what pains were surgical and what was gonna be forever

Old 12-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
(male)

Chris5566 HB User

yea it was a Hemilaminectomy & Discectomy, I think i scared myself trying to analyze what was causing this pain or that pain after surgery and scaring lyself thinking oh man didnt it work,and to answer your question yes the pain was from my L4-L5 because the disc was into my back and nerve pains were shooting down my back,butt,left legs occasionly my right leg, did steroids and pain killerz after 6 weeks it didnt work so the surgery was next ahhhhhhhhhhh the pain isnt as bad AFTER but still there and as i said idk what is surgical pain or will dissapte over time

The following user gives a hug of support to Chris5566:
katiebear (12-21-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

You won't know for awhile...quite awhile, really...at least six months. When there is nerve pain, it can take up to 18 months to resolve. It is very normal when you've had leg pain, for the nerve to be even more irritated after surgery. The surgeons never describe the efforts that are exerted when doing spine surgery. I think if we knew, we wouldn't let them operate on us. When the nerve is compressed, sometimes the doctor has to work very hard to free it up. It gets tugged and stretched, and the result is that it is very angry and irritated...and it can take a LONG time for this to calm down and go away.

We all hear stories of patients who wake up and the pain is gone...but I personally have yet to meet one! And, of course, we all hope that our recovery will be like that. It is very normal to still be in pain after surgery. Right now you are still dealing with inflammation, and that will last for at least a week or two. Then whenever you over-exert, it is very easy to cause a "flare" which is just a bit of a reoccurance of inflammation. So it is important that you learn to be patient with yourself...and, learn to listen to your body. At the first sign of feeling fatigued, back off and give yourself a chance to rest.

The first six weeks are the most critical time for you. At this point the disc is most likely to "reherniate." It takes six months for the disc to "scab" over and for the disc to be more reliably "stronger."

If you are curious, you can look online for lumbar discectomy recovery, or similar wording. You will find many examples of the printed instructions various spine clinics give to their patients. There will be small differences, but, for the most part, you will see the same advice repeated over and over.

Take good care of yourself. Let people wait on you and baby yourself for a bit. Hopefully in a few weeks you'll be feeling much better!

Old 12-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
(female)

katiebear HB User

sorri for jumping on ur post was wondering if you could look at my post and give me advice tetonteri66 many thanks

Last edited by katiebear; 12-21-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Closed Thread