It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
(female)

Sunshiny HB User
Weaning off my turtle shell back brace

My surgeon said to begin weaning off my turtle shell back brace in March. That will be 5 months post L3 - L4 surgery. How fast should I cut back the wearing of the brace?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Weaning off my turtle shell back brace

Five months is a long time to wear a back brace post surgery. If your surgeon hasn't given you instructions on how to proceed, you might want to call the office and ask them how to do it. Each doctor has his own ways of dealing with these issues.

You will probably find that you muscles will be very weak after so many months of inactivity. I imagine you will want to leave it off at home as you move about, but wear it any time you are driving or going out shopping, or any activity where you'll be on your feet for some time. You'll want to gradually increase the amount of time without the brace. Will you be doing physical therapy at the same time?

Welcome to the board. I hope you will find some answers to your questions here, as well as support among people who understand what you are experiencing.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
Sunshiny (12-22-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
(female)

Sunshiny HB User
Re: Weaning off my turtle shell back brace

The surgeon gave me some back exercises to start on. I have 2 more months in the brace. I am unable to contact him anymore. He retired this week. He thought I could manage weaning off and exercising strengthening myself, but I am seeking advice from other people who already experienced the back brace and weaning off of it.

Closed Thread