It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
(male)

PTVEGAS HB UserPTVEGAS HB User
Drop Foot treatment? IVIG

Has anyone heard of or have had done this treatment? IVIG, Intravenous Immunoglobulin treatment. I had a lower lumbar , L3,4,5, fusion done about a year ago and have had sever neuropothy and leg pain, drop left foot since the surgery.At first we all thought the surgeon nipped a nerve, but after many tests my neurologist has determined that the surgery aggravated the neuropothy which I now have pretty much throughout my nervous system.
I had a spinal tape as my new neurologist came up with a new theory, that i have a high protein level in my spinal fluid which is causing the neuropothy.
Well, so far he is right as the test showed a high level of protein in my spinal fluid.
He then is recommending this newer treatment, IVIG, which is I get transfusions 3days in a row , once a month. This is supposed to counter act the Antibodies that are fighting my nervous system.
He seems to be real convinced that this could cure my drop foot as there is no indication that any nerve was cut. I had 3 EMG's and they do not show any disconnected nerve. They do show many nerves that have no reaction to the stimulus from the tests.
This is my second neurologist and he seems to be a lot more aggressive and modern thinking of alternative medicine to try. The other neurologist that I had was more "old school" and pretty much said I'd have to live with it.
So, if anyone has any info on this procedure I would appreciate your comments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Drop Foot treatment? IVIG

This sounds really interesting and definitely worth trying.

I've learned all about the plasma rich protein injections and was thinking of trying it for my SI joint problems...but I gave it a bit more time and the problem resolved itself. I think this is the direction medicine is heading and it makes sense to me!

Sorry I don't have any information on IVIG to pass along to you.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
(male)

PTVEGAS HB UserPTVEGAS HB User

Just wondering,, how long did you have the problem, and how long before it resolved itself?
Thanks

Old 12-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I had my last surgery in June, 2010 and the SIJ problems started getting better over this past summer...and by now, it is completely resolved. It has stabilized and doesn't "pop" out of alignment any more...and I don't have any pain.

I still consider myself in recovery mode and am working with a trainer and am swimming a lot -- at least I was before the holidays.

I've had to rehab very, very, very slowly to keep the problem nerves from flaring up and becoming irritated, and to keep the piriformis and SI joint issues under control. It is finally paying off. I am getting stronger, finally, and have sailed through all the Christmas preparations and shopping with minimal discomfort.

I'm looking forward to getting back to my swimming after the holidays.

Last edited by teteri66; 12-24-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Closed Thread