It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
(female)

Jitterygal HB User
Annular Tear at L5-S1 and radiating pain

Hi all,

I recently had an MRI which showed an annular tear at L5-S1. I had also been suffering from SI joint dysfunction, which has been successfully treated. All this time I had been thinking that the pain over the Posterior Superior Iliac Spine was from the SI joint problem, but the spine surgeon told me that pain from annular tear can radiate out to the PSIS. Has anyone ever had this happen?

Thank you in advance,

Jitterygal

Old 12-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Annular Tear at L5-S1 and radiating pain

I cannot speak to an annular tear, specifically, resulting in a radiating pain...but issues, in general, with the L5-S1 segment often cause pain that is indistinguishable from the symptoms caused by SI joint dysfunction. It can be difficult to figure out where the pain is coming from, as the location of the pain is so similar.

One difference is that pain caused by a problem at the L5-S1 segment that causes nerve compression will frequently radiate down to the foot, whereas SIJ pain usually doesn't go below the level of the knee.

I am curious how you were treated for your SIJ problem and how you got over it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB User

When they suspected an annular tear, one of my docs had a really helpful message. He said medically it was one of the simpler problems and he recommended PT and epidural injections. He added that he'd had one himself so he knew that, while medically simple, it still FELT like a gunshot to the spine. Somehow that helped me feel a LOT better...validated the pain while reassuring me he was confident in treatment.

I did also have hip, glute, and leg pain on one side to the knee. The glute was actually the first symptom. It was all considered consistent with the L5/S1 tear diagnosis. While I did end up having other issues, the diagnosis did make sense from the symptoms and films at the time (this is also per Dr. Dad who reviewed it all). Hopefully, they'll have luck treating the tear....it is def a back issue that can get good results without surgery.

The Following User Says Thank You to cheryl1213 For This Useful Post:
Jitterygal (12-28-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
(female)

mrsagal HB User

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Purple"][/COLOR][/FONT]
I have had the same problem for years (8 plus) and had surgery for this twice and numerous injections. My L5-S1 continues to reherniate - and leg pain has never gone away - it is actually one of my most troublesome pains! I can't imagine after all these years why it just continues to way/wane. Anyway, my point is that even with surgery, PT, and injections, I am a little better, but nothing that was worth the risks that I had to take because I contracted a MRSA staph infection in my spine.

There are many things to consider before having surgery. Weigh them carefully. Good luck. Lots of hugs.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsagal For This Useful Post:
Jitterygal (12-28-2011)
Old 12-28-2011, 03:05 AM   #5
(female)

Jitterygal HB User

I went through Physical Therapy to realign the pelvis, which included manipulations. I have maintained the alignment now for about a month and a half. But the pain I have now is right over the PSIS bones. But I am getting ready to start a new protocol for the disc regeneration. Hoping it cures me!!! Thanks for your reply.

Closed Thread