It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
(female)

popica HB User
I need opinions!

I feel a mass in my abdomen---just below my belly button. Had a ct, which was normal. Mass is hard, immobile and about size of a golf ball
doc says we are feeling my spine! Does that seems possible! I am petite person but still seems not possible.
I trying to figure out if I should push for more tests and if so, what kind.
Thx!

Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: I need opinions!

Welcome to the board. I'm sorry no one has responded to your post. Perhaps they feel as I do...that it sounds rather implausible that this mass you are feeling is your spine. But I am not a doctor...so who am I to question the man with the training who actually saw you!

Do you know if the "mass" was visible on the CT scan? Did the doctor seem positive it was your spine (as opposed to a tumor or some soft tissue thing)? It just seems odd when I think about everything that is contained in the pelvic area...that would be on the "front" side of the spine. I know some thin people can feel their hardware after a lumbar fusion, but that is from the back side.

So, I'm afraid I don't have anything helpful to pass along -- it seems odd to me. Does it hurt when you press on it?

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
popica (12-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
(female)

popica HB User

Thanks for responding! Nothing shows on ct. I saw it myself--doc point it out. Two different radiologists have read it. It doesn't hurt. It's rock hard and immobile. The docs were puzzled at first but after thorough exams and looking at cts both docs i've been to declared spine. I am petite and I do have separate ab muscles. I really want to believe this but I too think it seems nuts! One doc was a GI btw.
I don't have any GI symptoms the way. I have other things--fatigue, migraines, neuropathy...to name a few. I'm working on looking for a diagnosis. So far all is normal.

Just can't decide if I should give up and believe this or look for yet and another doc to confirm. Ugh!

Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

What is your neuropathy?

Old 01-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #5
(female)

giamarie12 HB User

Hi Popica:
Dolores again. Neuropathy, Spinal problems? Oh boy, it does sound familiar. Are you missing subtle symptoms that you think are not important? I did that. Just a host of weird, symptoms coming from all over the body. Any unusual bleeding? Sorry, I did not write sooner. Holiday times and not on the computer since I drag body around trying to accomplish the smallest task. My other post gave you Dr. Mohan's name before. Please check him out. He knows the best Neurologist, Dr. Gupta he is in Flourtown and Norristown. Possibly some place closer to you. But I am not sure. He is all business but still very good. He is a little direct but still a decent bedside manner. Please be persistent. Doctor's do not have all the answers but some just get frustrated and embarrassed because they can't find an immediate answer for the patient. Some just don't care. Dr. Mohan found right sided weakness and I was falling and a few other weird symptoms. Sent me to Dr. Gupta and was operated on by a great neurosurgeon in Abington, Abington Hospital, Dr. Michael Yoon. Spinal cord was compressed. I have since had 2 operations in 3 years. Seems to be running down the cord. Yours sounds like a tough one but, don't give up only you know your body. We have to get over being the good patient that never complains and just takes anyone's word for it. I was a real pain. period. But I found someone who believed in me even if at times I was not a great patient. Please keep me posted. Good luck and Good Health in the New Year. Dolores

Old 01-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
(female)

twinsmomma23 HB User

hi dear. idk if this is going to help u at all but a few years ago i was having alot of pain in my stomach and i had a large lump. went to the er and they told me it was a blood clot and refered me to a surgeon. surgeon in turn diagnosed it as ahernia instead. he was right. ask about hernia. its worth a shot.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

[QUOTE=popica;4901036]I feel a mass in my abdomen---just below my belly button. Had a ct, which was normal. Mass is hard, immobile and about size of a golf ball
doc says we are feeling my spine! Does that seems possible! I am petite person but still seems not possible.
I trying to figure out if I should push for more tests and if so, what kind.
Thx![/QUOTE]

It is almost certain that it is the spine that is being felt. As you are small, lets say your waist is 25 inches. Pi equals 3.14159. So devide 25 by 3.14159 and it rounds off to about 8 inches. But the area of abdomen at the belly button is ovoid somewhat so your front to back distance is most likely 7 inches. If the vertebrae at this level is say 3 inches back to front that means 4 inches only of soft tissue, maybe less in a lean person. You will not be right up against the bone but compressing the vena cava and or the aorta, a bit of your bowels and perhaps liver. It will however feel bony.
James

Closed Thread