It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
(female)

winterbird HB User
Thumbs down Optimesh spinal fusion failure

Has anyone had problems with the optimesh not fusing and spreading outward? I had a L4-5 lift with rod and screw placement using the optimesh in June 2011. My neurosugeon has told me 6 mo. post surgey that no fusion has occured and I have sustained a fracture below and one above the optimesh and the optimesh is irritating the nerve.I have severe pain in my buttock and at the back of my left leg.If no fusion occurs he will have to remove the optimesh and redo my fusion a different way. He no longer is using the otimesh due to the problems his patients are having 6 months post op.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Optimesh spinal fusion failure

I hope your surgeon told you ahead of time that the OptiMesh is a new product and there is no long-term data on its successful usage.

I ran across a post from the summer regarding OptiMesh that you might be interested in reading. You can find it here:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-864633.html

Even if you were to see signs of bone growth at this point it sounds like there are other serious problems that will now need to be addressed. Fusion isn't going to resolve that nerve irritation.

I'm not sure why some surgeons are so eager to experiment with these new products that have little track record. It's the unsuspecting patient that ends up paying the price.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

There's a whole mess of malpractice suits out there on Optimesh.....seems it was being pushed to be used in cases where the FDA said it did not have approval. Apparently it was not supposed to be used where is instability. But you should look into it.

Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
winterbird (12-31-2011)
Old 12-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
(female)

winterbird HB User

Thanks. I am aware of the lawsuits in some states. My surgery was performed in Virginia. I go back to my Dr. on the 17th after lumbar x-ray which probably want show much. I have been offered epidural for pain control which is difficult to have done d/t the tightness in my back and problems with needle insetion. It is a wait and see game at this point with futher surgery in the offering.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

You need to be careful in the meantime that the Optimesh is not causing further damage. They should offer you more in the meantime that an ESI. I hope you keep on top of your neurosurgeon until you get this all resolved.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
winterbird (01-01-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
(female)

Skeetertinyrene HB User

[QUOTE=winterbird;4901341]Has anyone had problems with the optimesh not fusing and spreading outward? I had a L4-5 lift with rod and screw placement using the optimesh in June 2011. My neurosugeon has told me 6 mo. post surgey that no fusion has occured and I have sustained a fracture below and one above the optimesh and the optimesh is irritating the nerve.I have severe pain in my buttock and at the back of my left leg.If no fusion occurs he will have to remove the optimesh and redo my fusion a different way. He no longer is using the otimesh due to the problems his patients are having 6 months post op.[/QUOTE]
I just had surgery done and my bag "collasped". I was still in the hospital when it happened. I had to have surgery again a few weeks later to have it all taken out and redone with screws and rods instead. What has become of yours?

Old 05-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
(female)

winterbird HB User

My optimesh was taken out 5/2/12 and fusion redone with rod and screws inserted that extend across the spine. The optimesh fusion was just on the left side of the spine. The bag had collapsed about 4-5 months post op. I don't know if the optimesh was the problem or if the way the surgery was done caused the collapse. I read something about optimesh was not to be used in a support manner.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

How are you doing now? Was the standard procedure able to resolve your issues?

Old 05-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
(female)

winterbird HB User

I am doing great now. Still taking some pain and having some tingling/soreness across upper buttocks but am only 3 weeks post op.I am free of the sharp, throbbing pain I had before surgery

Old 06-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
(female)

winterbird HB User

[QUOTE=beachgrits;4993152]Would you mind me asking what State your Optimesh surgery was done? I am trying to gather information on other Optimesh surgeries.[/QUOTE]
Virginia. Please post the number of failed surgeries you find out about. While at my orthopedic office last week a man in the waiting room noticed my back brace and related that he had worn a brace for back surgery that had to be redone within 6 months of his first surgery due to the "stuff'" going out the wrong way and hitting the nerve. I would think this was optimesh use in 2010 as he had the same neuro surgeon that I have.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
(female)

beachgrits1 HB User

There are a large number of these failures. They are not reported because the adverse events need to be reported by the surgeon. Or you. Fusion revision is not an adverse event. A bag that has come out of the disc space into the canal should be reported. Especially if it is happening in your surgeons practice more frequently and can be related to the bag. Get on the FDA website and make an report about this.

I have heard of this in Florida, Illinois, Texas, Louisiana, North Carolina, Georgia and Michigan. The product that was under the study was for a different bag. The bag sold now is not under a study and not approved by the FDA for a fusion.

What does your surgeon say? Did he revise your surgery or did another doctor?

Old 06-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I am so sorry about your ordeal, really! My heart goes out to you.
This is why I am such advocate on many opinions before you go for any surgery. I went for 3 opinions and discussed with each of the doctors possible ways to do this surgery, got all information and was prepared to face my surgery. You cant put all eggs in one basket.
All my 3 opinions asked me if Dr talked about OptiMesh. I said NO, b/c he did not hear good reports. They told me this is right, too many law suits and too many re done surgeries and miserable patients.
So obviously you are not the only one who needs another surgery to fix this problem. If you decide to go with same surgeon, you better ask him many tough questions. Write the answers and search on Internet what and how he wants to do. Do not settle for just a surgery; you must know what will be done to your body and how he will fix this problem, and what products will he use. again go on Internet and read all pro and cons.

Best of luck to you
Moldova

Closed Thread