It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
(female)

carolaann HB User
Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction, anyone?

My neurosurgeon thinks this may be my problem. He's done 4 lumbar surgeries on me, all unrelated, but this last one has been a "bugger"! It's been one year this month and I'm still having post-surgery pain.

Because of the results from bilateral hip injections performed by my pm doctor, both he and the pm doctor are thinking that sacroiliac fusion will solve my pain problem. I'm thinking, "No more surgeries." He says it's minimally invasive, but how can a fusion be "minimally invasive"?

Anyway, as it stands now I have an appointment with one of his partners (he doesn't do this surgery) in Feb. which I may or may not keep. I'm just so torn. Has anyone had this surgery? Tell me about it, please!

Carole

Old 01-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction, anyone?

Oh man, don't let anyone tell you that SI joint fusion is minimal. Unless they know some magical way of doing it that I've never heard of, it is a surgery that has a low level of success statistically and it involves a fairly significant recovery. There is a new procedure that is less horrendous, but it is NEW.

The more I am on these types of forums, the more skeptical I am of the new procedures that promise to be less invasive. Too many are being tried on unsuspecting patients without any knowledge of what the LONG-term effects will be.

I'll write more later -- something has come up and I need to go for now....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

laketahoe32310 HB User

hi Carolaann,
I was told the same thing from my PM doctor after a few trigger point injections. Then I went to my Ortho and asked him and he told me there is an injection he can do that will 90-95% tell him it is the SI joint producing all the pain. Well I had that injection and it worked, so last friday 2 days ago I had the SI fusion, I went in at 2pm for surgery and was going home the next day at 10am. I feel very good and am confident this is the cause of all the continuing pain. let me know if you have any questions??

laketahoe32310

Old 01-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
(female)

carolaann HB User

[QUOTE=tetonteri66;4902545]Oh man, don't let anyone tell you that SI joint fusion is minimal. Unless they know some magical way of doing it that I've never heard of, it is a surgery that has a low level of success statistically and it involves a fairly significant recovery. There is a new procedure that is less horrendous, but it is NEW.

Well, that's exactly what I thought . . . put the words fusion and minimal together and they just don't add up. Also, I've googled it and it looks like a very long recovery.

Anything else you have to say will be welcome. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
(female)

carolaann HB User

Lake Tahoe,

I'm glad to know you got relief from your pain. I need to do some more investigation before I take the gamble of another surgery. I may be back to ask you more questions.

Carole

Old 01-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Hi Carole ~

HAPPY New Year. Sorry I had to run off.

There are a couple other people on the board who have either just had or are considering the new SI Bone procedure. You should find out if that's what your doctors are talking about.

The only reliable way to diagnose SI joint problems is with the provacative injections directly into the SI joints. Injecting the hips or manipulating the piriformis, or anything else simply tells you there is some pain.

First, any time lumbar patients have anything done, it can and usually does affect the way a patient arranges his posture afterwards. Invariably the SI joints take the brunt of all the adjustments that are going on in the lumbar spine. The least compensation for a one-sided pain is enough to cause SIJ problems...but is it bad enough that one needs fusion to correct it?

It may be a short-term solution to the pain, but what happens a couple years down the road? The SI joints have minimal motion to begin with. When the ligaments become stretched out and it is slipping on one or both sides, fusion is sometimes performed to immobilize this area. And what are you left with if your lumbar spine is already fused?

But, I digress. Before you do anything, you should have the SI joint diagnostic injections. They will use fluoroscopy to guide the needle into position and will inject the joint with a numbing agent. If immediately following the injection, you get up and go about activities that normally cause pain, and you are experiencing a significant decrease in pain, then it can be concluded that the SI joint is either the source, or a major contributor, to your pain. If the level of pain does not change after the injection, the SI joint is not the primary cause.

Once you determine how you react to this test, then you can think about what to do about it. I bet your surgeons are talking about using the SI Bone- I-Fuse Implant system. You can read all about the surgery on their website. What's interesting is that it says how quick and easy recovery is, and yet I know people whose surgeons still will not let them be weightbearing for 6 weeks (or longer) even using the I-Fuse system.

I thought for sure I was going to have to do something with my SI joints after my last fusion, which was Jun 2010. I think the longest I went without it slipping out of place was 3 weeks. But as I have been getting stronger and able to exercise more, the time increased and now it is behaving.

Are you able to walk now or are you still having to use a walker or cane?

Have you tried wearing a SI belt? If not, I would suggest you buy one. It is just about a 4" strip of firm elastic that wraps around the lower hip area and fastens with velcro that kind of holds you in place and keeps the joints from moving much. I used to wear it (before my last surgery) whenever I was going to be walking any distance or when needing to do things around the house -- like before company came for Christmas, etc. You can look at it on the internet to see what they look like, and can buy them at a pharmacy or online.

I would try one to see if it provides any relief.

But please let me know if you are able to walk.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
(female)

carolaann HB User

Teton - -

Thanks for your eye-opening reply. As a matter of fact, I had the very test you're referring to last May and there was no significant pain relief at all. This latest procedure I had was different, bilateral hip injections, and there was complete relief for about a week.

So I'm wondering why the surgeon is using that test to say I have sacroiliac problems? I never had this particular pain/problem until after my last surgery and I remember having it when I was in rehab. So it was immediately after the surgery. That makes me wonder if something happened during the surgery to cause it.

From what you've said and from what I've read online, I've about decided that another surgery is not something to consider.

You asked if I'm able to walk. Yes, but just around the house . . . not any farther than out to my mailbox and back. Otherwise, I need my walker or cane.

I looked at the S1 belts online and I want to get one, but I saw that there are different kinds and prices. Do I need to get the costlier one? I probably will get one at the pharmacy or med shop.

Thanks again for all your help and may you have a blessed and happy new year!

Carole

Old 01-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think the reason you had relief is because they gave you steroid injections, which reduced inflammation for a bit. But due to what is going on with the SI joints, as you moved about, and the steroid wore off, the pain has returned.

I don't think you have something wrong with your hips since your surgery. I imagine it is a problem caused by the fusion, the immobilization of that whole segment that now puts more pressure on the sacral area, and the first area that can move, the SI joints.

I think if you try the SI belt, it may provide just enough relief that it will help to support the area, and hopefully keep the irritation down. Look for one that has two additional straps that run from the center back. After the belt is velcroed closed, you then can adjust the amount of support by pulling these two additional straps tighter or very tight. I still wear mine every once in awhile when I absolutely, positively have to run the vacuum cleaner!

Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
(female)

carolaann HB User

[QUOTE=tetonteri66;4903632]I think the reason you had relief is because they gave you steroid injections, which reduced inflammation for a bit. But due to what is going on with the SI joints, as you moved about, and the steroid wore off, the pain has returned.

I don't think you have something wrong with your hips since your surgery. I imagine it is a problem caused by the fusion, the immobilization of that whole segment that now puts more pressure on the sacral area, and the first area that can move, the SI joints.
\[/QUOTE]

What you're saying makes more sense than anything I've been told! After all, I'm fused from T12 to S1. I'm going to get an S1 belt and try it.

Many thanks!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
(male)

Bigphil HB UserBigphil HB UserBigphil HB UserBigphil HB UserBigphil HB User

I am in a similar situation as u. I am only fused at l5-s1. Since prior to my TLIF I have had this excruciating "hip" pain I would call it. It was always at the base of my spine to the left and into my buttocks area and groin at times. I had all the conservative procedures done and nothing helped. So after my MRI the surgeon came to think it was my DDD and herniation that was causing my pain. I underwent a Discogram at 3 levels and when they hit the l5-s1 I came unglued. So finally I know where my pain is coming from. Spin that forward to 3 months post op and I explain to the surgeon that I am still in pain and explain where. He says well it's not the fusion. He does a few tests and looks back through the PT notes and says. I think it's your SI Joint and we may have underestimated that as a signifigant pain generator, however U still would have needed a fusion either way. He sends me back to PM. They do 2 diagnostic injection like TETOn mentioned. Immediately I had pain relief. The pain came back after 6 hrs. 2nd injection he did with Cortisone and only had relief for 2 weeks or so. He then did a lateral branch block and identified the nerves that were painful and 1 week later did a RFA. That only gave temporary relief. So I then met with 3 surgeons and got the same suggestion from each. Minimal Invasive SI Joint fusion. I was like u in that no fusion is MIS. I have decided to try the IFUSE by SI BONE. It is MIS because they only make 1 small incision and place 3 implants over the illium and sacrum. It is still a major surgery says my Neurosurgeon. It is relatively new so not a lot of data compiled. He has performed more than 15 with really good out comes. A few of his patients I spoke with said it is still a very tough surgery to heal from, due to the weight bearing restrictions. They had also had prior lumbar fusions as well. A good surgeon IMO will keep it real when discussing this with u.. I am still a bit nervous but feel I have exhausted all my options and gotten 3 opinions that all say I need the fusion. I hope u find the right surgeon and get relief soon.. Take care!!

Old 01-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
(female)

carolaann HB User

Thanks for your "story", Big Phil - - -

That surgery sounds exactly like what my surgeon was describing, using bone graft, right? However, when I consider what I've read about the long recovery period, I don't think I'm ready to do this.

The thing that I continually think about is this: this particular pain didn't start until after my T12 - L5 fusion. After a week in the hospital I went to rehab for three weeks and there's where I first noticed it. (I was heavily sedated for the week-long hospital stay and don't even remember it.) So that makes me wonder if it's the result of being on the operating table for so long (12 hours) at such an awkward position.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #12
(male)

Bone graft NO.. With IFUSE they insert 3 titanium implants across the joint.. They are shaped like a pyramid and make the bone fuse around them. I don't know if laying on a table that long would be causing the problem. I would assume it's due to all the stress the fused segments are placing on the SI Joint(s). Only u know what is best for u. I hope u find relief. I didn't want another surgery but feel I need it. All the best..

BP

Old 01-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #13
(male)

Bone graft NO.. With IFUSE they insert 3 titanium implants across the joint.. They are shaped like a pyramid and make the bone fuse around them. I don't know if laying on a table that long would be causing the problem. I would assume it's due to all the stress the fused segments are placing on the SI Joint(s). Only u know what is best for u. I hope u find relief. I didn't want another surgery but feel I need it. All the best..

BP

Old 01-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Here's what the SI website says about their product:

iFuse Implant System versus traditional SI joint fusion

Minimal incision size
[B]No need for bone grafting[/B]
Minimal soft tissue stripping
Minimal tendon irritation

BigPhil--can they do both sides at once?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #15
(male)

Yes they can, however most surgeons prefer not to due to the need for use of crutches or a walker. I will need my other side done also. My surgeon said he would recommend 6-9 months in between. He did say he would do both if the other side was as debilitating as the side he's fusing now. I chose to wait and see how this one goes and didn't want to be in a wheel chair for 3 months. Also PT would be extremely hard if both sides are done.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-09-2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Closed Thread