It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

Harleymarli HB User
Medial Branch Block - Info

Has anyone on this Board had a Medial Branch Block, any info would be helpful as I am Scheduled for the 1st one on Wed.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Medial Branch Block - Info

Welcome to the board.

Have you had any epidural steroid injections? If so, this is not all that different.

The medial branch block is a temporary and diagnostic procedure, usually done to determine whether the facet joint is the cause of the patient's pain. It is often done prior to a procedure called a Radio-Frequency Lesioning or ablation.

Is your pain in the lumbar area? The procedure is pretty much the same for cervical areas too, but I'll describe what I am familiar with, which is lumbar.

The medial nerves are little nerves that come off each facet joint in the spine and carry signals out to the body. The nerve block is designed to temporarily interrupt the pain signals that are being carried out from a particular facet joint.

Do you know if you are having conscious sedation for the procedure?

The skin and deeper tissue will first be numbed. Then the joint will be injected with some medication that will cause the joint to become numb. You will be asked to keep a record of your pain and the times when you notice the numbness wearing off, if you have had relief from pain, when it returns, etc. But I am getting ahead of myself. You will be injected and that will be the end of the procedure. You will be asked to stay on the table for about 20 minutes, and then you will be asked to walk or do the usual movements that normally provoke your pain. You will be asked questions about your pain. If you have had conscious sedation, you will have to remain for a period of time until it is determined you are stable, and then you will be released.

You should have a driver with you to take you home.

You should continue to rest for the remainder of the day and should use ice if you are sore from the injection.

The doctor will give you directions pertaining to the notes you should make in your "pain journal," and how long he wants you to keep it.

Just remember, the test is diagnostic in nature and is not meant to cause any sort of permanent pain relief.

Feel free to ask questions....I'm sure I skipped some details!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
(female)

Harleymarli HB User

Thank You for your response! I have had a Epidural Steroid Injection(with no results and broke out in Hives). My issue's are Lumbar (Degen. Disc, Spinal Stenosis, Arthritis). My appt. for Wed. has been rescheduled as I have a cold! UGH Now have appts for 1/11 and 1/18. Very anxious...

Old 01-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Is the same doctor doing the injections for the medial branch block? In any case, be sure to mention the reaction you had with the ESI. I imagine you had the reaction to the steroid. Sometimes they put a bit of steroid in with the numbing agent...so be sure to mention you had an adverse reaction before they do the procedure!

Try not to worry. The procedure isn't too bad, and usually shouldn't take long. I hope it will reveal your pain generator.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
(female)

Harleymarli HB User

[QUOTE=tetonteri66;4903513]Is the same doctor doing the injections for the medial branch block? In any case, be sure to mention the reaction you had with the ESI. I imagine you had the reaction to the steroid. Sometimes they put a bit of steroid in with the numbing agent...so be sure to mention you had an adverse reaction before they do the procedure!

Try not to worry. The procedure isn't too bad, and usually shouldn't take long. I hope it will reveal your pain generator.[/QUOTE]

Different Dr. and Hospital and he is aware of the adverse reation to the ESI, he said it could have been from the contrast dye. Why can't they do both sides the same day? And are you familiar with RFA/Rhizotomy?

Thanks so much for your input

Old 01-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes I am. What would you like to know?

The doctor is trying to determine which specific nerve is causing your pain. If he injects too many areas, you will not be able to tell him where and when it hurts. This is standard procedure.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #7
(female)

Harleymarli HB User

Anything you can tell me about the Rhizotomy would be helpful! I hear it effects people differently! And if it does work , the length of time your pain free is also different for each person! Thank You for your responses, I really appreciate them.

Marli

Old 01-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Like any of these procedures, patients react differently and outcomes vary. I think most people get along quite well with the procedure. I have heard many people say that they were quite uncomfortable for awhile after the procedure--from several days to several weeks.

Many people get relief and it seems like for many, it lasts about six months.

Closed Thread