It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
(female)

sneakie HB User
Unhappy I would love to hear some helpful advice...

I had a 2 lvl fusion @ L4-5 & L5-S1.I also had a 1 lvl usion @ T11-12 area.Horrible experience Ive ever undergone and continueing to go through.I had a spinal leak for roughly 3 mths in the T11-12 area in which the doc. glued me up to stop the fluid from gushing out a week after leaving the hospital.The hospital stay was 6 days as I also needed 2 blood transfusions b/c I was loosing too much blood.The staff didnt control my pain whatso ever as my body began trembling from pain.I now have so much excrusiating pain in both hips.The pain starts in my lower back and wraps into the front of my hips down into my groin area.It it the most shocking/stabbing pain you can imagine.Then the pain travels down both legs causing numbness and shocking,shooting,and grinding pain with what feels like lots of pressure to the point I have to hit my legs to relieve that pressure.You cannot touch above my hips as Im lying down b/c its the worst tickling and irritated feeling.Really hard to describle that feeling although I can say it makes my legs jump.I asked my doc if it would be the hardware causing this but he said no.However for some reason my gut instinct tells me otherwise.My upper back where I had the one lvl fusion and spinal leak;pops in and out.It is so painful and I cannot lye down on any hard surface b/c it hurts so bad,almost like someone would be grinding a knife in it or something.Again thats the best I can explain that feeling.My hips hurt so bad that it literally feels as though I need 2 hip replacements and there wasnt anything wrong with them before this surgery other than ratiating pain that traveled into legs but nothing like this kind of pain.If I didnt have my 2 beautiful daughters and my awsome husband;I would honestly ask the Lord our God to take me.I know there must be someone else out there with same symptoms who can give me some clue as to what this may be caused from.Please I plead for someone to respond as Im in desparate answers or clues or even thoughts....Please someone respond....Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: I would love to hear some helpful advice...

Welcome to the board. I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time since your surgery.

Did you have the thoracic fusion done after the lumbar one? How long ago was each surgery? Have you had other spinal surgeries prior to the fusion? How about other treatments like epidural steroid injections, nerve blocks, or perhaps a spinal anesthetic?

A bit more information would be helpful! Thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to teteri66:
sneakie (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
(female)

sneakie HB User

They were both done at same time.surgery was alittle over 6hrs.Had injections before and after surgery.Also went through 3 1/2 miserable mths of physical therapy.No help now he wants to do a surgery to implant nerve stemulator.Im not going througj that b/c to many cmplications can occur.My sirgery was Sept.28,2010

Last edited by sneakie; 01-02-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Need to add more info

Old 01-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
(female)

sneakie HB User

They also did a ct scan at 1 1/2mths after surgery but it really was the bare minamium scan that didnt show anything.He did an xray 2weeks out of surgery not sure if that was too soon.Not really sure whats going on but need to find another surgion cause mine died recently.Really crazy....Oh and never had my yearly check up cause they had canceled my appt.then he died.So last time I seen him it was 7mths out of surgery.So this is really scary for me.

Last edited by sneakie; 01-02-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Have you thought about going to a spine surgeon outside the area to get an opinion on whether your fusion has indeed fused, whether there is a hardware issue or anything else that might be going on that your surgeon is not seeing?

Old 01-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
(female)

sneakie HB User

Yes Im thinkinh about going to Texas.I heard theres good docs there.Thank God I have good insurance cause my surgery was 289k.....I havw 12screws,and bolts,4rods, and 2plastic or ruber cages.I feel like Im half robot...lol

Old 01-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

There are several big back programs in Dallas and I'm sure there are good spine surgeons in Houston as well. I would definitely look into it.

It is fairly unusual to have all that work done in one surgery. Usually the surgeon will operate on the worse area first and then after the patient recovers from the first surgery, will go back and do the second area.

Do you have one long scar for both or was it micro surgery?

Old 01-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
(female)

sneakie HB User

No,I have a huge cut in my lower back about6-7inches and a smaller cut in upper back about4-5inches.It was not micro either.They were both innerbody transforminal fusions.It was really painful and the nurses would lie and say they gave me my pain medication and really didnt thats wwhy my body was trembling.My mom is a RN and had she not stood up for me they wouldnt have givin me anything after making me go without for about 7-8hrs.Can you imagine the pain I went through....I couldnt wait to get out of that freakin hospital and go home.

Closed Thread