It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
(female)

csefkow HB User
Post discectomy symptoms

On June 2, 2011, I had a microdiscectomy/foraminotomy at L5-S1 which totally relieved all of my sciatica and groin pain symptoms from a disc herniation in 1995. Last week I began to experience some of the same symptoms again (cold foot, numbness, sciatic aching and groin pain) to a much lesser degree than before my surgery. I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen and also if it could be scar tissue formation at the surgical site.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Post discectomy symptoms

The most active time for the formation of scar tissue is from 3 to 12 weeks post surgery. If the pain is just now returning, I would think you have either reherniated the disc or developed some stenosis or something similar that is affecting the same nerve.

You might want to call your surgeon or make an appointment to see him. He might want to send you for a steroid injection to calm down the nerve before you get a big flare going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
(female)

csefkow HB User

Thanks for the information. Reherniation is in the back of my mind but onset was very mild and is getting better every day. I had several steriod injections prior to the surgery and have talked to my psysiatrist about another one if symptoms continue. He does not think it is a reherniation but will do an MRI if needed in a week or so. Unfortunately my neurosurgeon has left his practice so I would need to find a new one for any new issues at this point.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I would go back and take whatever precautions and careful living you used immediately following your surgery, and just "baby" your back. You probably just caused a bit of inflammation if you were busy over the holidays -- maybe did a few things that aren't on your normal schedule -- even carrying some heavier packages is enough to set off a minor flare.

One thing to keep in mind is, regardless of the success of the surgery, the back will never be the same as it was prior to the onset of pain or injury. So you can expect to have a resumption of pain from time to time. Take NSAIDs or ibuprophen for any inflammation; try icing it for 15-20 minutes at a time, being careful to protect the skin; watch your body mechanics and structural alignment.

Hopefully, it is just a minor bump on the road. At six months the disc that was surgically altered is just toughening up, so even though you've felt "well" for awhile, your body is still in healing mode.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
csefkow (01-05-2012)
Closed Thread