It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 05:13 AM   #1
(male)

BUSTEDBACK HB User
Question Please help..What does this mean...new MRI results

Hi All....Can anyone explain this to me ?? I am new to forum and will be updating profile with all info next but this is really bothering me...please help !

L4/5 bulding annulus fibrosis with a superimposed posterocentral/ left paracentral extrusion with inferior extension of the herniated disc material behind the superior endplate of the L5 vertebral body for a total of 9mm below the mid intervertabral disc space level...mild narrowing of the central canal...greater towards left...mild bilateral foraminal stenosis...mild hypoplasia of the L5 vertebrae body

Old 01-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Please help..What does this mean...new MRI results

Welcome to the board. Your lumbar MRI doesn't indicate a busted back, but you do have an extruded disc at the L5-S1 level. A disc extrusion occurs when the outer part of the spinal disc (the annulus) ruptures, allowing the inner, gelatinous part of the disc to squeeze out.

Most of the other words are describing the specific location of the extruded area. The bulging area is going beyond its own boundry and is pushing into the central canal and into the foramina. This takes up space that would otherwise be used by the spinal nerves, and it can result in some nerve compression. This is described as "mild," which means that there is only a small amount of compression...the nerves are not being badly "pinched" and there is still quite a bit of space left for them. This narrowing, or stenosis, can be a source of pain that can radiate into a limb. In the case of lumbar stenosis at this location, it would probably run down the back of the leg, and buttock.

I would imagine that a doctor would use conservative treatment methods such as oral medications, physical therapy and perhaps a steroid injection in an attempt to heal the disc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread