It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
(female)

Oliejune HB User
Smile neuro stimulator

Hi, I was wondering if any of you back pain sufferers have experience with
a neuro stimulator ? My doctors say it is a last resort attempt to lessen pain, and that some people get relief by having it. To me , it seems like an odd remedy , and I was just curious as to whether or not it has helped any of you. Thanks for reading , Oliejune

Old 01-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: neuro stimulator

If you could provide a bit more information, it would help us know what information might be useful to you. What are your problems? What different treatments have you tried? Have you had back surgery previously to treat the problem? What type of doctor is suggesting the neuro stimulator to you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
(female)

Oliejune HB User

Hi, and thank you for your comments. I had back surgery almost three years ago for a herniated disc at L5S1. I felt better for one year, and then developed pain in my back, my knees, and aching in my legs. An MRI showed that scar tissue formed and is pressing on a nerve root somewhere. They are calling it a failed surgery, and I was told that more surgery to remove it only means more scar tissue down the line, since I seem to produce a lot of it. I take medication for chronic pain syndrome, which helped the aching in my legs, and I have epidural steroid injections Q2months. My pain management doctor said that I cannot have those injections ( which don't help for longer then 3 weeks ) long term, because of the side effects, so he suggested the neuro stimulator. He said that he recommends it to maybe one in 400 patients. So that's where I am now, not such a good place to be. Thanks, Oliejune

Old 01-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

The Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS) may be an option for you. Many people have had success. They start with a trial to see if it works for you, if it does then they do the surgery to fully implant the device.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
(female)

Oliejune HB User

Thanks for your reply. I have to really consider all of the facts. I am doubtful that it will relieve my pain, since many areas are involved.I have a herniation in my Thoracic spine as well. Anyway, It's an interesting idea, maybe being in less pain is worth a shot. Oliejune

Old 02-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
(female)

redhedd72 HB User
Talking Re: neuro stimulator

[QUOTE=Oliejune;4908467]Hi, I was wondering if any of you back pain sufferers have experience with
a neuro stimulator ? My doctors say it is a last resort attempt to lessen pain, and that some people get relief by having it. To me , it seems like an odd remedy , and I was just curious as to whether or not it has helped any of you. Thanks for reading , Oliejune[/QUOTE]

I had a spinal cord stimulator implanted into my spine in August of 2010 and I'm so glad I did. It has completely gotten rid of ALL nerve pain I was experiencing which was so bad that it made me almost crazy. There were times I wanted to die the pain was so bad. There are only a couple of things that concern me about it. It does NOT do anything for back pain. I still have back pain but only if I stand for long perioids of time or have to walk long distances. The nerve pain outscored the back pain so I can handle the little bit of pain I still experience in my back. The other thing is, I have Multiple Sclerosis and since having the stimulator implanted, I am no longer able to have any MRI's done to track whether the MS is progressing or staying the same and I don't like that part about it because I have had some MS flare ups in the last three months. My Neurologist did tell me that he heard there is a NEW stimulator that was created that IS MRI compatible, so at my next appointment with my neurosurgeon, I am going to inquire about that and possibly see if I can have the NEW stimulator implanted to replace the one I currently have. All in all though, it DOES get rid of ALOT of the really bad pain I used to experience. I couldn't believe it when I was able to sleep through an entire night without waking up in pain and having to take pain meds. I am seriously so glad I had it done!

The Following User Says Thank You to redhedd72 For This Useful Post:
faith4today (08-26-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
(male)

Bradleyh100 HB UserBradleyh100 HB UserBradleyh100 HB User

I had the SCS implanted last year. I had a complete discectomy and fusion at L5-S1 in 2004. I did great for three years and then started having lower back, mid back and hip pain return slowly. The pain got worse over the last few years and I finally had the stimulator put in. It has not helped me very much but they are still reprogramming it, trying to get better results. If I had it to do over I would not have had it at all. The battery is placed in your buttock just below the skin and every so often I bang it on a doorknob or just sit funny and it pinches slightly. I can't run it at night because it gets stronger or weaker when you change positions. They say people have had success with the SCS but I haven't been one of them so far.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
(male)

Bradleyh100 HB UserBradleyh100 HB UserBradleyh100 HB User

I don't mean to discourage anyone from trying something that may help them. Just because I haven't had success with it doesn't mean others won't. It obviously has success or I'm sure it wouldn't be a viable option that insurance would pay for. If your problem is at all in the mid back it is very annoying when stimulating up high. The pulse wraps around into your belly and ribs.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
(female)

crazy di HB Usercrazy di HB Usercrazy di HB User

my mom has one. she has neuropothy in her legs which is like haveing severe shingles in your legs. it helps kind of weird at first. it does not take away all the pain away. do your homewrk.try to talk to others that have it b4 making a big decision like that.its not 4 everyone. 3 days to try it is definately not long enough. its worth a try. B HAPPY CRAZI DI

Closed Thread