It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
(female)

smokeandmirrors HB User
Sorry if this is TMI, guys might not want to read

I had an epidural steroid injection in lumbar region 6 weeks ago, and I started my period the day of the shot, before I actually recieved the shot and I have been on my period since. Its light, and kinda on and off but just non stop! I did some google researching and found that prolonged periods can be caused by steroid shots but I also have a history of endometriosis and uterine polyps which also caused bleeding like this. I can not go to the doctor because my insurance was cancelled and my new insurance hasn't kicked in yet so I am starting to get worried about this! has anyone else had this problem?

Old 01-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Sorry if this is TMI, guys might not want to read

When does your new insurance begin? Is there any chance you could be/could have been pregnant? Since it's related to your period perhaps a local Planned Parenthood clinic would see you and do an exam (especially if you think perhaps you are pregnant, if you get what I'm saying)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
(female)

smokeandmirrors HB User

The thought has crossed my mind but I had a pregnancy test the day of the injection and it was negative. I guess I should make sure though.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

If you go to planned parenthood they can likely fully examine you at a reduced fee. It's very possible what you are experiencing is just an effect of the ESI since it's steroids. But PP can exams next you at reduced rate if you indicate you think you are/were pregnant. Anywhere else you go would charge more for for a simple gyne exam.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB User

I joke that the only thing that "cured" my endo was my back problem. The back pain was an 8 for a while and just beat out the 6-7 normal pelvic pain!!

I think endo gals are more sensitive to a hormone change and so may get a higher level of side effect on that end. Never hurts to check to be sure it isn't pregnancy but it might just be part of the "joys" of our complex bodies! I take continuous BCP but spotting pops when my body is stressed...I was embarassed to start bleeding when a PT got me up the day after my fusion. I'll also spot sometimes when I get sick (side note: i know i'm getting sick b/c the pelvic pain flares...i suppose that's a helpful warning!).

Point -- I'd take the test to be sure, but it may be within the realm of expected given the stress on the body and your sensitivity to hormones.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
(female)

smokeandmirrors HB User

[QUOTE=cheryl1213;4909467]I joke that the only thing that "cured" my endo was my back problem. The back pain was an 8 for a while and just beat out the 6-7 normal pelvic pain!!

I think endo gals are more sensitive to a hormone change and so may get a higher level of side effect on that end. Never hurts to check to be sure it isn't pregnancy but it might just be part of the "joys" of our complex bodies! I take continuous BCP but spotting pops when my body is stressed...I was embarassed to start bleeding when a PT got me up the day after my fusion. I'll also spot sometimes when I get sick (side note: i know i'm getting sick b/c the pelvic pain flares...i suppose that's a helpful warning!).

Point -- I'd take the test to be sure, but it may be within the realm of expected given the stress on the body and your sensitivity to hormones.[/QUOTE]

A fellow endo sister! lol! Doesn't it just suck? I have the nicest scars on my stomache from laparoscopy surgery. I have been pregnant before and miscarried at 10 weeks and I definately don't feel pregnant but it wouldnt hurt just to make sure. I found out today that my insurance has kicked in so I can go see my OB now!!

Old 01-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

cheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB User

My lap scars are at least below the hairline....my fusion scar is navel to hairline. I;d had three laps and they were all pretty "easy"....done Fri, at work Mon (maybe a half-day). It took a mindset change to tackle the back operation since it was MUCH different in recovery terms!!

I've had a cold this week. Hence, endo pain is acting up since my immune system is funky. Before the back pain clearly "beat" the endo, the BF would see that I hurt by looking at my face and then say "Back or front???" to find out which one was the issue that day!

I haven't been preg but may try at some point. I am terrified of being off the pill though...i till have trouble on it, but w/o it i'm pretty useless (which makes GETTING preg hard since i'm not too into being touched!). the back doc says i'll have his blessing to try once i'm fully fused, prob a year out from surgery. i figured i'm entitled to an easy preg after so many othr problems!

Old 01-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

smokeandmirrors: I didn't know if you actually may be pregnant, but was hinting that PP would probably examine you for either low cost or no cost if you told them you thought you may be pregnant. It would be a way around an expensive ER or doctor office visit :-)

Closed Thread