It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
(female)

nora01 HB Usernora01 HB Usernora01 HB User
Bed/Mattress Suggestions for Back Issues - Herniated Disc

Hi- I was hoping I could get some feedback on what type of bed/mattress has worked for others.

In 2010 I had herniated disc that was compressing nerver (L5/S1). I tried PT, Injections, Traction and finally had Microdisectomy in Oct 2010. Was slow at first but was feeling better. Never completely pain free & still had left leg/foot partial numbness.

In mid 2011 back was causing more issues & had new symptoms now on right side. Took 6 weeks but finally got MRI after had to fight for it. Same disc was herniated but only on left side. Right side seemed to get better. I went into PT again. Was doing well- walking on treadmill at gym for 30 minutes @ 2.7-3 mph. PT exercises every day. Then Monday before Christmas husband heart device malfuctioned and shocked him 8 times. Between getting to hopspital, having him transported to different hospital after stabilized and him getting new device, and being released (Monday to Thursday) I wasn't able to get to gym but was taking walks around hospital. When he came home we both sleep in La-Z-Boy as it was easier for him to get up out of and kept him from rolling on side that he had to keep off of. I think the stress, less walking and LazBoy agravated Sciatic nerve and now pain is as high as a 9. Tried 6 day pack of steroids but they didn't really help.

Can't do the PT exercises i was doing 3 weeks ago and am in constanct pain. Don't see doctor until end of next week. Am on percocet which i really hate to take but the pain is horrible it makes me want to cry all the time.

We've been back in our Tempurpedic for 2 full weeks but getting in / out is very painful. Plus its only 8 years old and seems not to be as supportive. It almost feels like your going to fall out of the bed.

Anyone with back problems recommend a certain type of bed/mattress?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Bed/Mattress Suggestions for Back Issues - Herniated Disc

I know some people claim sleeping in a recliner is helpful to them, but my physical therapist, who works exclusively for my spine surgeon, is not a fan. For almost all people, they do not support the spine in the right places, and can make some situations worse.

I do not have a recommendation for a mattress, but it is very important to have proper support.

I just wanted to suggest that while you are waiting for your doctor's appointment, you might want to take NSAIDs (if your body tolerates them) for inflammation and use ice or a cold gel pack. You can ice 15-20 minutes per hour, round the clock, if need be. It will help with any inflammation and should help make you a bit more comfortable.

You might want to give yourself a couple days' break from your exercises, and just take small, gentle walks to keep the blood flowing. You could also try using a heating pad over the lower back, if you find this more comforting than ice. Sometimes people alternate heat with ice and get some relief that way.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
(male)

PTVEGAS HB UserPTVEGAS HB User

I know what you are talking about. I have back problems for about 8 yrs now too, and also have a tempepedic for that time too. I love my temperpedic though,but i've hadit replaced twice in the 8 yrs. They are very good on customercomplaints. All i had to do is good to their website and file a complaint. They contactedme and i took a couple pictures showing the sagging and they set up a delivery of a new set twice. I love my bed now. Soonas i lay down the pain goes away.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
(female)

nora01 HB Usernora01 HB Usernora01 HB User

Thansk Tetonteri. I already do try ice/heat but only helps a little. I also walk in pool which seems to help.

ptvegas- i actually was going to see about contacting Tempurpedic and your response makes me hopeful it will be easy and not a big fit to get fixed.

Closed Thread