It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
(male)

davepower HB User
mystery problem

Hi! i'm writing on behalf of my gf; she injured her back about 5 months ago and no matter what we do it gets worse. we think it stemmed from pulling too much weight with the lat pull down or something similar. the pain seems to emanate about half way up where the shoulder blade meets the spine and then radiates over he whole back, at times even shooting down her arm.

she has been to see many doctors (physician, chiropractor, osteopath, physio, pain management), but treatments only seem to aggravate it, leaving the doctors perplexed; not knowing what to do. she has also had x-rays and even an mri that all have turned up negative. all this has left her frustrated, exhausted and drained and we don't know what to do any more.

anyone have any insight, help or advice? thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: mystery problem

I would assume, since nothing shows up on MRI or X-ray, that your girlfriend has pulled a muscle or something similar. This can take a long time to heal. If she has rested the injury for an adequate period of time, and it still is sore and with rest, is not improving, I would suggest you see an orthopedic doctor who specializes in Sports Medicine. They are about the only medical specialty that pays much heed to muscles and soft tissue.

I can't speak specifically to your girlfriend's issue, but I know with back issues in general, particularly those who are injured during exercise, people tend to think they are "resting" for an adequate period of time. But in reality, they rest until it starts to feel better, but they are so eager to get back to the gym or the bike or whatever, that they start right back into the activity too soon, and, with almost the same intensity...and the injury begins to hurt again.

If someone is unable to do an activity for more than about 2 weeks, he/she needs to take the attitude that he is starting all over, and resume the activity slowly, and gradually add minutes over a longer period of time.

The body deconditions much faster than the time it took to reach that level of initial conditioning.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
(male)

davepower HB User

thank you for the quick reply. she had stopped the exercising after the pain had started and the only exercise she does now is the ones given to her by the physiotherapist and walking on the treadmill. the orthopedic doctor sounds like a good idea though.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I have found that most doctors aren't all that interested in muscular imbalances and soft tissue issues. The person that actually helped me diagnose my problems the most was a guy who had training in massage therapy, bodywork and acupuncture. He treated athletes that do the extreme races, 100 mile-type things in the desert or mountains. Someone who knows a lot about the way the body moves would be perfect for your GF, but I never know how to label that particular person in order to tell someone what to look for!

If you belong to a health or sports club, you could try just randomly asking people, coaches, trainers, for any ideas.

Sorry this isn't much help.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB User

Actually, I'd imagine the treadmill could be aggravating things. I love my walking time, but it can aggravate a shoulder-area issue since you do naturally pump your arms a bit. She might want to try taking a couple weeks off (I know that's hard for me to do so won't assume it is the most welcome answer!).

Closed Thread