It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
(female)

tammykinz HB User
Chiropractor

For the first time ever I am seeing a chiropractor tonight for my back. I am scared but nothing else is working. I don't know if I will let any spinal manipulations take place I just want diagnostics and his opinion and for him to tell me what he can do for me. I know I won't allow any cervical stuff to be done. Who has had spinal manipulation done before, what does it feel like and are you sire afterwards. Is it a really hard push down on your spine. I am so scared.

I have horrid right side back hypertonicity with 2 tender spinal joints. Sometimes one of the joints feels like a really bad toothache. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Chiropractor

I would support your feelings of being very cautious when it comes to a new chiropracter. Be sure to discuss all your issues with the doctor before you let him/her near you.

At the very beginning of my back problems, I went to a chiropractor who was very good...and also very cautious. It wasn't too much time at all before she told me my problems were beyond her level of care...and she didn't want to take any chances with me. So I haven't had too much experience with spinal manipulation. She was always fairly gentle and I was never sore afterward.

I also went to a guy who did acupuncture and body work and he manipulated my spine, particularly the SI joints. Sometimes there was a bit of force, but again, it never hurt at the time, or afterward.

I hope you are able to get some help. Please let us know how it goes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

I have been to three different chiropractors: the first one resprained my ankle to the point that I had to have my husband bring me crutches because I could not bear weight. Even after that, I went to two more. The second did more nerve activation than spinal manipulation. I always felt really good after seeing him, but couldn't afford his out-of-network prices, so I stopped going after three months. The third focused on enlarging my disc space to get pressure off the nerves which provided relief, but only temporarily. After about a year, the relief declined from one-two days to one-two hours, so I stopped going. He also managed to subluxate one of my ribs, but I am hypermobile in many joints.

Make sure to get referrals and feedback about any chiropractor. If you have a trusted doctor, ask him or her for referrals. There are also, as I understand, different types of chiropractors. Some focus on sympathetic nerves and others focus on skeletal manipulation. Your condition may benefit more from one type of chiropractor than the other. If you feel uncomfortable with anything, tell them to stop!

Old 01-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

[QUOTE=tammykinz;4915734]For the first time ever I am seeing a chiropractor tonight for my back. I am scared but nothing else is working. I don't know if I will let any spinal manipulations take place I just want diagnostics and his opinion and for him to tell me what he can do for me. I know I won't allow any cervical stuff to be done. Who has had spinal manipulation done before, what does it feel like and are you sire afterwards. Is it a really hard push down on your spine. I am so scared.

I have horrid right side back hypertonicity with 2 tender spinal joints. Sometimes one of the joints feels like a really bad toothache. Any advice would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Tammykinz, you say nothing else is working, tell us what you have tried that has not worked. I can tell what the chiropractors diagnosis will be with some accuracy, a subluxation, whatever that is.
James

Old 01-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
(female)

tammykinz HB User

Hello

Thanks everyone. Okay so what I have tried is rest, ice, heat and tons of physiotherapy. They put me in a work rehabilitation program which was 4 hours per day / 5 days per week so lots of excercise. Then they put me in a gradual return to work program which failed because my muscles got way too tight and sore to the point where it was unbearable by the 4 hour mark. I took lots and lots of rest breaks applying heat and doing stretching.

Now I am in the next level up for work rehabilitation where it is 6 hours per day / 5 days a week. I feel like they are killing me with all this exercise. I am feeling worse and worse. One physiotherapist pushed on my spine a few weeks ago and she caused me so much agony.

Now I have got them to modify things, ease up on the exercise and am doing some pool therapy. So am hoping this will be better. But I am still in lots of pain.

I went to chiropractor the other night and he was very gently with me. I told him how nervous I was etc... HE said that I need soft tissue work and and that physio should have been doing that where they get in there with their fingers and work at the muscles and use ultrasound and stuff to help it along. He thinks that I have been given overkill on excercises and it has aggravated and prevented me from healing properly. My back is in full tightness because it is trying to protect. So he worked on my back with ultrasound and this cold laser therapy. He pushed into specific spots on my muscles to try and release some of the tightness and he did one mid-spine adjustment.

I felt pretty good afterwards but the next day I went to physio and while I took it easy I got pretty sore and today was phsyio again and I am very sore tonight. I feel like there is a lot of pressure on my spine between the shoulder blades, it kind of feels locked up...maybe it needs to crack / or be adjusted ??

I take naproxyn when it gets bad so usually one every evening around 4 or 5 pm. It helps take the edge off it but isn't relieving the spine pain. Ice helped me with that tonight.

Tomorrow I see a new doctor and I am going back to chiropractor for second visit. UGH I can't take much more of this !!!!

Old 01-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
(female)

tammykinz HB User

I should also say that my back gets very tired, tight and sore as it tries to hold me up.

I sprained my back at work last July pushing a cart around a corner to the right. I was diagnosed with mid-back sprain and it affected only the right side of my back. Been through all that physio therapy and now my whole right side of back and into my neck hurts. I shouldn't be feeling worse at this point and physio is giving me a hard time. Telling me that it will get better and that pain is the last to go. Yeah well pain shouldn't be increasing !!!

I think they were too aggressive with me and now I have mega problems with my back.

But of course I am being covered under workers compensation so if I don't go to physio I don't get paid.

I hope this new doctor will help me tomorrow.

I had an x-ray mid back last year which showed just some ossification in mid-back with no significant abnormalities. I think I need an x-ray of my upper back. I think physio caused me to be sprained in my upper back. Not too sure.

Chiro says that I probably will need about 6 adjustments and some soft tissue work. HE says that my muscles / brain / nerves have gotten used to this cycle of just being so hypertonic and protective that it doesn't know how to relax or be normal. So he said that we have to break that cycle and he says he will need to dig into the muscles and stuff which will cause me to hurt at first but will help retrain this nerve / muscle connection.

Make any sense ??

HE has really good reviews and he was recommended to me by someone !!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

Hi there! Hopefully, your soreness is a muscular reaction to being worked in a new way. I hope that my experiences didn't worry you; as I said I have some really hypermobile joints.

My back often feels tight between my shoulder blades and I can't afford to get a massage everyday. I often take a couple of tennis balls and stand with my back to a wall, placing the tennis balls between my back and the wall. I then roll the tight areas against the tennis balls to self-massage. The tennis balls DON'T go along the spine, just in the muscular areas that are sore or tight. This technique allows you to control the pressure and to reach areas that you can't massage yourself.

Hope that your new doctor helps you out -- it sounds like the chiropractor is changing things up, which might be what you need.

Closed Thread