It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

angie10863 HB User
need help with MRI results

I got the findings of cervical spine MRI, not seeing Dr. until next week. Findings are: At C3-4 there is a moderate sized right marginal osteophyte causing moderate narrowing of the right neural foramen. Everything else normal. Impression: Moderate sized right paracentral epidural defect at C3-4, probably osteophyte, causing narrowing of the right neural foramen, Some disc component is possible however also
Can anyone explain some of this to me?
My symptoms: neck pain at base of neck, extending out to shoulder, under shoulder blade also, feels like electrical shocks, tingling, pins and needles, horrible, relentless pain, all LEFT sided

Old 01-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: need help with MRI results

Hi Angie...I'm Jenny from the Spinal Cord Disorders board where us "neck people" hang out.thought I'd drop by and invite you to join us and give you the low down on your MRI.

As you have already guessed, you have a problem on the right but your pain is on the left...strange. So here in plain English is what the MRI means.......

At C3-4....you have a probable bone spur that has formed at the back of the disk/vertebra edge. Bone spurs are formed due to osteoarthritis and one of the more likely places is where the disk and the bone meet in the spine....which happens to be right at the edge of the spinal canal. It has formed to the back right of center and is filling up the area where your nerve to the body passes through the bone. So the nerve is caught between the "rock and the hard place". They rate the amount of pressure this puts on the nerve by the words minimal, mild, moderate and severe.....you are "moderate".

This should be causing a lot of pain in your right shoulder area. Why you are having left sided pain I don't know.

But the MRI is only 1 test and I'd ask your doc to follow this with an EMG/NCS(electromyelography and nerve conduction studies). This will tell them if the left sided nerve is somehow involved and how badly the right side nerves are involved. This may solve the mystery as to why you hurt on the left....it could be what they call "referred pain" when the pain appears on the opposite side of the injury. Or there might be a hidden problem that the MRI didn't see on the left.

So you have a strange problem but not impossible. Time for more tests to figure out what is going on and where.

Hope you'll come and say hello on the Spinal Cord board.

hugs...........Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
(female)

angie10863 HB User

[QUOTE=jennybyc;4917696]Hi Angie...I'm Jenny from the Spinal Cord Disorders board where us "neck people" hang out.thought I'd drop by and invite you to join us and give you the low down on your MRI.

As you have already guessed, you have a problem on the right but your pain is on the left...strange. So here in plain English is what the MRI means.......

At C3-4....you have a probable bone spur that has formed at the back of the disk/vertebra edge. Bone spurs are formed due to osteoarthritis and one of the more likely places is where the disk and the bone meet in the spine....which happens to be right at the edge of the spinal canal. It has formed to the back right of center and is filling up the area where your nerve to the body passes through the bone. So the nerve is caught between the "rock and the hard place". They rate the amount of pressure this puts on the nerve by the words minimal, mild, moderate and severe.....you are "moderate".

This should be causing a lot of pain in your right shoulder area. Why you are having left sided pain I don't know.

But the MRI is only 1 test and I'd ask your doc to follow this with an EMG/NCS(electromyelography and nerve conduction studies). This will tell them if the left sided nerve is somehow involved and how badly the right side nerves are involved. This may solve the mystery as to why you hurt on the left....it could be what they call "referred pain" when the pain appears on the opposite side of the injury. Or there might be a hidden problem that the MRI didn't see on the left.

So you have a strange problem but not impossible. Time for more tests to figure out what is going on and where.

Hope you'll come and say hello on the Spinal Cord board.

hugs...........Jenny[/QUOTE]

Old 01-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
(female)

angie10863 HB User

Jenny,
Thank you SO much for your reply. You told me more than I was able to learn from searching the internet for over 2 hours!!

I was definitely wondering why everything said "right" when my pain is only on the "left side" of my neck and back.

I will definitely check out the Spinal Cord Disorders Board, I am new to this and didn't even see that as an option. Although, it will probably be tomorrow, by this time of the night, my neck and back hurt SO badly.....I'm at the twisting off mentally point!!Lol

Thanks again for the answers and I look forward to running into you again on the other board. I certainly don't know what your difficulty is, but I wish you well, I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone!!

BTW, the thought of more tests, makes me think **YUK**, I'm spending so much on Dr. bills that it's crazy. Thank God for insurance. But, if it helps, I'll certainly do it. Heck, at this point, I stand on my head in a corner for a month if it made the pain go away!!

Thanks again.....Angie

Closed Thread