It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
(male)

jason41987 HB User
alternative beds for neck/back pains?

hey everyone... ive been having neck problems for over a year now.. it might be bed related, but i dont know, and my doctor isnt sure either... its not a slipped disc (which at this point is all we've ruled out)

anyway... it feels like a really, really bad stiff neck, on both muscles on the side of my neck/shoulders, and ive had it for atleast a year now

ive tried different mattresses, but theyve all been similar type of inner spring mattresses, so i was thinking of trying something different and hoping it helps....

options i looked into were futon mattresses, either the 4-5 inch thick ones you actually put on a futon frame, or the roll up floor futons which are about 3 inches thick...

ive also considered trying an air mattress, but ive had bad experiences with them losing air and then offering no support, so im cautious about trying them again without being relatively sure theres a good chance itll help (i probably just had a really cheap brand)

ive thought about stringing a standard fabric hammock in my room, one without the spreader bar which cradles and wraps around you, but i like something i can just fall on and sleep when im really tired and the ability to spread out

so what are my options?.. id like to hear from someone with similar neck/lower back pains that have tried these alternatives, and id like to hear their results so that hopefully i can get relief why my doctor and i try to discover the cause of these problems

well thanks in advance..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: alternative beds for neck/back pains?

I cannot help you with alternate bedding. I think the various choices you mentioned would add to my lumbar problems...but, that's just me.

I'm curious what you do when sitting...how much you sit during the day, what your set up is, etc.

If you have had a MRI and other imaging and no mechanical problems have been found, I would then look to your body's structural alignment, body mechanics and posture. For instance, do you have foot pronation? How your body is positioned while sleeping is important, but at least equally important is how you carry your body at all other times.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
(male)

jason41987 HB User

i havent had an MRI yet.. but i have a new doctor now, he may order one... just an x-ray so far

i do a lot of my work sitting, designing things with 3D cad, chemistry stuff too.. i had an office chair with a high back but that busted a couple weeks ago and the chair im in now doesnt offer that luxury... im actually building a chair from scratch, itll be a morris chair with a reclinable back and large foam cushions

im actually going to mount my PC monitor on a wall mount so i can place this chair along side the wall, monitor angled down at me so i can recline the back of the chair back to a better angle.. i can always add lumbar and neck support to the chair and the back will be full length for my head too...

but its always in the AM my neck hurts the most, and my bed is really, really old, the springs are hard and brittle and the padding is flat..

Old 01-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Probably just about any new, high quality mattress would be an improvement from you. Most professionals recommend a supportive mattress and pillow. It doesn't need to be firm, but it should be supportive.

Or try out some of those alternative options you mentioned to see if it makes any difference.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
(male)

jason41987 HB User

best sleep i can remember having was on a 4-5 inch cotton futon mattress on the floor... awesome support where i needed it so im swinging towards that route and was just looking into alternatives that might be better

Old 01-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

I've had herniated discs in both cervical and lumbar regions. I've found that foam pillows with built-in cervical support suit me better than standard pillows. As an alternative (or before spending money), you can try rolling up a hand towel and placing it under your neck to see if this type of support helps you. Also, I have found that a wedge for the knees takes pressure off the lower back, when sleeping on your back. A good ergonomic store should have demonstration samples for you to try out.

From a practical perspective, I would be careful about putting any mattress directly on the floor for a long time, as this tends to create a good environment for mold and mildew.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
(male)

jason41987 HB User

sweatpea... you just reminded me i should also look into a better pillow, about the cervical pillow, do you have a photo of one like yours so i have an idea of what they look like?.. i may look into getting one for better neck support.. my pillows are pretty old and flat too.. that might really help

Old 02-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

Hi -- I don't know how to post pictures in here, but mine is the Tempur-neck pillow. They are not cheap, and other similar brands may be equally effective. When I bought mine, I just wanted to pain to stop and would have maxed out all my credit cards to make that happen. I would try out a couple of different pillows at a good ergonomic store, if that's available where you are.

Closed Thread