It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
(female)

alida1234 HB User
sciatic nerve problem... help!

I am 6 week post op today and having terrible problems with pain in both legs and back.I am on 600 Mg of neurontin. I have my post op apt. Tomorrrow. Please tell me what has worked for some of you.,thanks!!!!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: sciatic nerve problem... help!

What type of surgery did you have?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
(female)

alida1234 HB User

I had a second lamenectlmy....on l 5/s1. He said the disc was a mess but did not do any fusion...may need it in the future...thanks so much!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
(female)

LVNV HB User

I had a laminectomy after learning my nerve roots were being crushed in three places, causing severe pain down both legs. I could barely walk. After my surgery, I was still having aches and pains in my legs. The doctor told me that nerves will usually repair themselves, but very slowly, about the width of the side of a nickel each day and that my nerves would need to heal from the hip all the way down to my feet (that's a lot of healing to be done). He told me it could take up to a year for my nerves to heal all the way down my legs and to feel better. I had my laminectomy about 2-1/2 years ago and now I'm feeling fantastic! I wear high heels, I exercise, and I rarely experience pain. The only thing I can't do is high impact exercise, like running on a treadmill. That will sometimes knock out my back.

Last edited by LVNV; 01-30-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
(female)

alida1234 HB User

Thank u so much for your response....I just got back from my Apt and he said that I had a great deal of calcification and would need more time to heal. He also increased neurontin to 900 Mg. A day which he said was still a low dose.again, thank you for your help. You give me hope! What did u do for exercise? He told me only to walk......

Old 01-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Have they offered you any epidural steroid injections? After one of my neck surgeries I had a nerve that wouldn't calm down, the surgeon offered one ESI and it helped a great deal.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

I have been having awful radiculopathy post-fusion, but I am little reluctant to take MORE pills. I am pretty sensitive to anything new. Last week, when I couldn't sleep, I threw some Lidocaine patches on the backs of my calves. I realize that the nerves in the calves are probably closer to the surface than the sciatic nerve, but this might be worth a try. Also, I am glad to know that a post-surgery epidural is an option, if the nerves need some help healing.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
(female)

alida1234 HB User

Thanks again for.the.suggestion..a few more questions...I am now taking 900 Mg of neurontin but the 600 Mg did not help much..any experience.with this drug? I feel like if it.doesn't help calm down the nerve I might as well take a pain killer! Also, the doctor asked if li thought it was my back or sciatic and my feeling is that it.is.sciatic because it.comes and goes..,any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 01-31-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
(female)

LVNV HB User

No, I never took neurontin, but I took lyrica, another nerve inhibitor. I was very unhappy with Lyrica because it made me feel very confused and dizzy. I didn't take Lyrica for long before discarding it. After the surgery, I'd occasionally take a Lortab for the pain and now if I have back pain, I can actually take an anti-inflammatory and it often works (that's amazing because before surgery, it wouldn't have touched my pain).

I was only able to walk for quite some time after surgery. I started with 10 minutes, built to 20, and then 30 minutes. At my 6 week checkup, my doctor told me I could start doing other exercise but to avoid doing things with twisting (such as golf) for quite some time. It really did take me awhile to heal and if I pushed myself too hard that first year, I'd be in a great deal of pain for several days. I would say it took about 6 months before I felt pretty good, but I'd still have a lot of pain if I sat or stood in one place for too long. It probably took me about a year before I felt relatively normal.

A year after my surgery, I went to Disneyland and walked all day long. By about 3:30 and after having walked for 7 hours, I hit a wall and could walk no further. I was just exhausted and in pain and I really hurt the next day. I continue to be aware of overexerting myself, even almost three years after surgery, but I can do almost everything I used to be able to do. High impact is a bad idea (such as running on the treadmill, which I used to do), but I can walk fast and still feel great. Good luck to you. I hope you continue to heal and get your life back.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:05 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Back pain is felt in the back, sciatic pain radiates down the sciatic nerve and potentially down the leg.

Neurontin can help with nerve pain but won't help with pain in the spine which isn't nerve relat do. I have a chronic low backache and Neurontin does nothing for that, but it helps my cervical spine radiating nerve pain that goes down both arms.

Are you in Pain Management and do you have additional meds for pain?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
(female)

alida1234 HB User

Wow.,all the response is wonderful. To answer you questions, I have not been offered a n injection for pain but didn't ask for one. I think they feel like the neurontin will kick in and do take a half of percoset (5/325 Mg tablet] very rarely when needed. My surgery backing in 1998 went so well and this one is going so slow....sorry for the grammatical errors. I am using my Kendall! I am walking 3 times a day fir about 15 minutes. Still not sure if sciatic is causing low back pain because I heard that it radiates to lower back at times.....who knows!!!! Thanks for listening to my rambling!!

Closed Thread