It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
(female)

tammykinz HB User
Calcification at age 35

I am a 36 year old lady. My xray shows some calcification in the thoracic region of my back. I have pain there and all the surrounding muscles are hypertonic and never relax. I have always had poor posture and tonight I saw my chiropractor who said it is uncommon to have calcification at my age. The rest if my spine looks fine but then he mentioned that it could be ankylosing spondylosis!! I don't have any other areas of calcification deposits lower back is fine. Physio has made me worse because I think they had me over doing it and now the chiro says I might not get relief from him.

Is it unusual for a girl my age to have this?? I am overweight and have always had bad posture. I am concerned about AS but my doctor just shrugged his shoulders like it was nothing. Xray just said some ossification in mid back with no significant abnormalities. Could this be a cause for all this pain that won't let up.

Last edited by tammykinz; 01-31-2012 at 12:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Calcification at age 35

Do you have disc ossification or ligament ossification? Is the calcification on the vertabrae (osteophytes)? Have you had any imaging studies other than the aforementioned X-rays? Has the doctor ruled out a disc herniation?

I looked up ankylosing spondylitis on the National Institute of Health's website. Among other things, it states that the associated pain is worst when you are inactive, like first thing in the morning. This pattern seems inconsistent with your pain, which you have reported worsens with activity.

Medical practitioners sometimes throw around scary diagnostic words before making an official diagnosis, without thinking of the impact on the patient. Next time you see the chiropractor, ask him what led him to the conclusion that you might have ankylosing spondylitis. Look up the symptoms and let him know what you have that is consistent with that diagnosis and what is inconsistent.

I would ask -- non-medical query -- whether the ossification has been caused by inflammation and whether that inflammation is indicative of an underlying problem, like a disc herniation or damage to the sheath surrounding the nerves.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread