It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User
Piriformis ??

I am sure that I spelled that wrong...but I am just too tired/lazy...
Hello all,
It has been a long loooooong time since I have posted. I have read a few posts from "new" people....and I do sincerely feel for all of you...and do understand pain.
Quick catch up....fell several yrs. ago..(10 - wow) far lateral herniation at C5/6...disruped my right SI joint...which wasnt diagnosed until 2008 and then fused...12/2009 had to have that all redone with new systmen by Ifuse. Seems to be working somewhat...still have some pain in righ SI joint area...but I can live with it...no more pain in right leg!!
Also...when I fell I did do damage to several discs...but they have been pretty good. Only go out every now and then and then after a couple of weeks they behave themeselves again. Crazy..but true.
OK...here is the NEW problem. Approx. 2 wks. ago I bent over to give the cat a treat...my bad...bending...but cat loves me. In my right SI joint area I felt a feeling like something popped...hello...there are rods there...NOOOO...after 2 weeks...that has sort of calmed down...but a replacement pain on the left side has begun...pain from lower left back up a bit and down from just at the top/in front of the hip bone..into my upper theigh...down to above my knee...wow...painful..what do you all think...? Can that be the Periformis? Or maybe the small lateral herniation at L5/S1???? To be truthful...I am disguested. But this is life and I need to figure this out...I realllllllly do not want to call my surgeon... If anyone else has had this...and it can be "waited" out, I am willing to try.
Sorry to be such a fairweather friend lately....but I do check in and "lurk".!!!!

Take care, have good days.

Sage

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Periformis ??

Nice to see you again, but sorry you are experiencing a "new" pain.

I am merely guessing here, but this sounds like the type of "compensation" injury that often happens with the spine.

Just like the worry of "adjacent disc disease" or the "domino effect" when one is fused, when only one SI joint is fused and therefore has no movement, it makes sense that the other SI joint has double the stress on it.

It may be that when you bent over, you may have twisted very slightly at the same time, or some part of the movement caused extra stress on that left side because the right side couldn't move.

It is really common to have piriformis issues when there are problems with the lower lumbar area. After I was fused from L3 to S1, I had pain that I primarily felt in my left "hip", but often in what I thought of as that left "quadrant." The piriformis muscle runs from the area of sacral spine over to the attachment near the hip. When it gets tight, the resulting pain often radiates from the buttocks, down the thigh, and up into the spine. Piriformis syndrome is often confused for a herniated disc, sciatica, or another back issue.

What I wasn't clear on in your post is whether the pain is on the front or back side of your thigh??

Old 02-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

The pain is toward the outside of the front of the left leg....I am just dreading making that call to my Dr. How can I blame the poor cat for wanting a treat...or my dummyness for bending like that.....oh well...I do believe that I was slightly bent towards the side...yup....that could do it...
I do understand about the uneveness of the spine once one side is fused...and I have tried to be careful. I just don't know what that "popping" feeling was on the right side when I bent....all I could think was a rod had popped out...yikes... It kind of resolved...but then the left side began it's pain issues. Guess we can never be too confident once we have had our spines reconditioned. Always a new issue. Thank you for your thoughts...appreciated.
Sage

Old 02-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Pain from piriformis issues usually kind of pulls across the buttock and into the side of the hip, and can irritate the sciatic nerve, so pain usually goes down the back of the leg.

Hopefully the pop you heard was just a ligament hanging up on the rod, when you bent over, and then it snapped back off, creating that popping noise.

Closed Thread