It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
(female)

Me001 HB User
Question Post discectomy Spondylolisthesis?!

Hi,
I want to thank everyone on these forums, your info is amazing!

Initial injury at work in Nov2010. Continued to work until March2011 when I woke up and couldn't walk. Went to PT3x/week with no improvement then to 4hrs every day and deteriorated. Waited till August/11 for a NeuroSurg consult. MRI showed an 11x13 herniation at L5-S1. Explaining the outer leg/saddle numbness, motor loss, radicular type sciatic pain and periodic bladder retention. Had a microscopic discectomy 2 weeks later.
Had little pain PostOp and was recovering fine. (On T3 for a week post-op) Motor function returned, bladder working as it should, numbness only knee->toes, sciatic pain less frequent. Started PT 6wk after Surgery. Repeat MRI for continued radicular pain showed some scar tissue but nothing major.
Returned to work in December/11 with extremely modified duties. (not surprised being a nurse) Was doing paper work with no major problems. Once I was back on the floor things changed. LBP increased, weakness increased (neurologic or de-conditioning I'm not sure yet), numbness back up to mid thigh. Was maxing out on any OTC pain killer I could find, GP put me on Nucynta this week which is helping so far. (Not thrilled about being on a NARC but I have no choice) I didn't do anything specifically to increase the symptoms. ie) improper lift, over did something
I complained to Physio today that with position changes (stand-> sit, or whatever) I would feel/hear a thunk like my back shifted. Not the usual relieving little "pop" i usually feel. He says that my "vertebrae is/has shifted anteriorly at about a Grade 1." He never gave me a medical term but this sounds like Spondylolisthesis.
I understand my muscles are weak and not responding appropriately therefore not holding things in place properly. The disk space is also going to be narrowed while muscles are still the same length. I can see this as being a bit expected. If it helps I'm 26 and also looking at career shift as I doubt I'll be able to do this for 20 more years. Love my current job so it is a heart breaker.
What are the odds of this progressing? Does anyone have any experience? What is the treatment if it progresses? Fusion? Any help is appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
discectomy, l5s1, post -op, spondylolisthesis