It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
(male)

Location: eleven miles north of the MT/WY boarder off I-90 in Wyola Montana (where men are men and sheep live in constant fear.
jimpadget HB User
Question Vitamin D Study

[FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"][/SIZE][/FONT]
Hi There Gang...
I've got a new VA Doc who wants to do a Vitamin study.
Okay, so what's that all about?
I've had MRI's, which I understand to a point until it's confusing.
I've had CAT scans which I also understand to a point, until it's confoosing as well.
But Vitamin D study?
I've heard of it, but what does it show, if anything.
Is there a concern for lower Vitamin levels that affect the spine, or do I have a Vitamin happy Doctor on my hands?
My current problems are as follows and I hope I don't leave anything out, 'cause sometimes I forget all that's wrong...
[U]Bulging and or herniated discs[/U] at C-3, C-4, C-5, C-6, L-3.
[U]Weakened discs at L-4/L-5[/U] (herniation is no longer present on MRI, however, discs are still not up to snuff).
[U]spondlyolothesis[/U](incorrect spelling, it means that my L-5 vertebra has shifted forward of my spinal column) L-5
[U]Ruptured disc[/U] at L-5/S-1[/U] with two fragments impinging on both sciatica nerve roots.
[U]DDD[/U] Degenerative Disc Disease through out entire spine.
[U]Mylopathy[/U] (incorrect spelling---again! deterioration of mylen covering spinal chord) at cervical and lumbar regions.
[U]Stenosis [/U]at C-5, C-6, T-4, L-4, L-5.
[U]Bone spurs[/U] at C-5, C-6.
[U]Wheel chair bound[/U] for distances further than forty feet or the length of my trailer house.
[U]In my 60's[/U], if the above isn't bad enough, add older age benefit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Vitamin D Study

The new doctor may be trying to figure out why you have problems at so many different levels of your spine. This study would in no way help correct the current issues but would perhaps explain why they have occurred and perhaps, if it reveals any significant findings, might prevent further damage in the future.

There is an article on the sister site of Healthboards where you can learn more about vitamin D deficiencies:

http://www.*****.com/diet/vitamin-d-deficiency

Old 02-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

Ouch -- sorry you have so many problems at so many different levels. I went to a rheumatologist to try to determine whether I had a systemic joint problem before I committed myself to more surgery. The rheumatologist checked lots of things, including Vitamin D. The D was the only amiss (it was REALLY low), so he recommended that I take a daily dose that exceeds the RDA until I got caught up. Within three days, my energy levels had returned to normal.

I wouldn't involve myself in such a study unless I had a low blood levels of Vitamin D. It seems likely that you don't go outside much, so I'm guessing that you aren't getting D from the sun. (I have atypical nevi syndrome, so going out in the sun was not an option to correct my D.)

Did the new Doc discuss your levels with you? Or is he recommending mega-doses with no current deficiency?

Old 02-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Low levels of vitamin D are thought to cause osteomalacia which is a softening of the bones. Women are more susceptable than men. It would seem that women with low levels of vitamin D are more likely to aquire low back pain. Unfortuately D supplements don't seem to help. Best get your body into the sunshine as Sweetpea says, but not today at least in Canada!
James

Old 02-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

A lot of spine surgeons will test your Vitamin D levels. Vitamin D is necessary for your body to properly use calcium. Especially if you will be having a spine fusion, it's necessary that your Vitamin D levels be in the normal range for the bone to grow properly to create a fusion. During winter months and further away from the equator it's common to have low levels of Vitamin D.

FYI that you also should be taking a calcium supplement if you are taking a vitamin D supplement, as your body will take calcium out of your bones if you don't have enough calcium in your bloodstream yet have Vitamin D there.

The Following User Says Thank You to twohands For This Useful Post:
SweetPeainSF (02-06-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

That probably explains why my calcium was just a tad under (0.2 under the desired level) when I had my pre-op blood testing done. I have since been taking a calcium/Vitamin D combo pill.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

This is an interesting topic. Almost everyone I know was vit. D deficient after spine surgery. The thing is, most of us do not know if we were deficient prior to surgery because it wasn't tested.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
(male)

Location: eleven miles north of the MT/WY boarder off I-90 in Wyola Montana (where men are men and sheep live in constant fear.
jimpadget HB User

[QUOTE=tetonteri66;4922863]The new doctor may be trying to figure out why you have problems at so many different levels of your spine. This study would in no way help correct the current issues but would perhaps explain why they have occurred and perhaps, if it reveals any significant findings, might prevent further damage in the future.

There is an article on the sister site of Healthboards where you can learn more about vitamin D deficiencies:

http://www.*****.com/diet/vitamin-d-deficiency[/QUOTE]
Two Hands, thanks for the info got a call from my Doc's RN today and she told me the V-D study showed extremely low V-D levels, I'm being placed on two Vitamin D supplements, one to be taken twice a week, the other on a daily basis.
These are not in preparation for surgery, nor are they for post surgery, as I am not a candidate for such a procedure, which has to do with my condition being non-service connected, as well as age related (62) as the Regional Medical Center (which would do the procedures) has but two Ortho-Docs (your tax money not at work!).
Your info is much helpful and what with what I've read about low Vitamin D levels, I'm fairly confident that I'll be feeling much better in the future, as the old saw goes, "it can't hurt'.
Now then what I've learned so far from reading these postings, is that the low D is responsible for my equally low calcium levels, which helps me to understand why my CT scans show that my vertebra appear to be dissolving...but perhaps that's another problem to be solved at a later time.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
(male)

jimpadget HB User

Tetoneri66: Thanks for the info on the site at *****, it never occurred to me to look there, but then you learn something every day so long as you listen or read what people have to say.
Since she's a new Doc for me, my other one had to semi-retire as he's out now for back problems, as he just had surgery for lower back problems, gee that sounds familiar...anyway she's replacing him.
As I said in my reply to Two Hands, I'm not a candidate for surgery due to age and non-service connected disability, but that being said, if there is any relief from the pain I suffer from in my legs and lower back after taking these supplements that would be just ducky for me.

Closed Thread