It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
(male)

Bigphil HB UserBigphil HB UserBigphil HB UserBigphil HB UserBigphil HB User
SI Joint fusion 28-8-12.. Very nervous..

Well Wednesday is judgement day at 6:30am. For some reason I am extremely nervous this go around. I have had 1 cervical diskectomy in 2007 and a TLIF lumbar fusion in Jan 2011, so I am no stranger to the knife. This time around it just has slapped me in the face with nervousness. I assume it's because there will be such a unknown for me. I knew people that had lumbar fusions, cervical surgeries but none personally who have had a SI fusion. Just needed to get on and vent because I know u guys have been through back and neck surgeries so u can understand my nervousness. My family is supportive but don't really understand. So this time Wednesday I will be on my way to recovery and just hope it goes well.. Thanks for letting me vent..

BP

Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: SI Joint fusion 28-8-12.. Very nervous..

Hey Bigphil ~ I will be sending lots of good thoughts your way, and blessings to your surgeon and the surgical team.

I imagine you are nervous about this surgery, not only because it is "the unknown," but because you probably recognize that your opportunities to have your problems rectified are diminishing.

I know with my 3 level fusion 20 months ago, I (and I think my surgeon, too, even though we didn't discuss it) regarded the surgery as my "last chance." I felt it would be the last surgical attempt to resolve my pain...and if it didn't work, I wasn't sure what else was going to be available for me to try.

You realize that SI joint fusions do not have a spectacularly high rate of success, so I imagine you are cautiously hopeful...and that brings some trepidation along with it.

But there comes a point where, after all the research is done, and the patient is comfortable with the selection of the surgeon, and the patient has made the decision to have the surgery, that you just have to decide you've done all you can, and now it is up to the surgeon and whatever higher power you may believe in. Now you must find strength, hope and optimism, so you will have a positive attitude as you approach surgery.

I wish you the best and will look forward to hearing some good news from you in the near future.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
(male)

[QUOTE=tetonteri66;4923454]Hey Bigphil ~ I will be sending lots of good thoughts your way, and blessings to your surgeon and the surgical team.

I imagine you are nervous about this surgery, not only because it is "the unknown," but because you probably recognize that your opportunities to have your problems rectified are diminishing.

I know with my 3 level fusion 20 months ago, I (and I think my surgeon, too, even though we didn't discuss it) regarded the surgery as my "last chance." I felt it would be the last surgical attempt to resolve my pain...and if it didn't work, I wasn't sure what else was going to be available for me to try.

You realize that SI joint fusions do not have a spectacularly high rate of success, so I imagine you are cautiously hopeful...and that brings some trepidation along with it.

But there comes a point where, after all the research is done, and the patient is comfortable with the selection of the surgeon, and the patient has made the decision to have the surgery, that you just have to decide you've done all you can, and now it is up to the surgeon and whatever higher power you may believe in. Now you must find strength, hope and optimism, so you will have a positive attitude as you approach surgery.

I wish you the best and will look forward to hearing some good news from you in the near future.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much teton.. I agree it is a last resort and I am hopeful it will help. I need some relief and know if it does give me some I can address the right side with some optimism. If I get no help with this fusion I will be out of options. My right side is getting just as bad so my hopes are high I will get results so I can address it . I will soon find out..

Last edited by Bigphil; 02-06-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

Bigphil,

Best wishes for your upcoming SI joint fusion! I hope it gives you relief from your pain.

I had an SI joint fusion 2 years ago and had to have it redone due to nonfusion (there is a 5% nonfusion rate with all SI joint fusion procedures). Still having problems but am hopeful I will get some eventual relief.

What method are you having done?

tetonteri, while the old SI joint fusion method of going in through the abdomen and putting all sorts of plates and screws hasn't had very high success rates, newer methods such as DIANA and IFuse are showing great promise. SI joint fusion technology of course is still in its infancy compared to spine fusion technology.

I've talked to a lot of people who have gotten great pain relief from SI joint fusions.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
(male)

[QUOTE=twohands;4923629]Bigphil,

Best wishes for your upcoming SI joint fusion! I hope it gives you relief from your pain.

I had an SI joint fusion 2 years ago and had to have it redone due to nonfusion (there is a 5% nonfusion rate with all SI joint fusion procedures). Still having problems but am hopeful I will get some eventual relief.

What method are you having done?

tetonteri, while the old SI joint fusion method of going in through the abdomen and putting all sorts of plates and screws hasn't had very high success rates, newer methods such as DIANA and IFuse are showing great promise. SI joint fusion technology of course is still in its infancy compared to spine fusion technology.

I've talked to a lot of people who have gotten great pain relief from SI joint fusions.[/QUOTE]

I will be having IFUSE by SI BONE..

Closed Thread