It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
(female)

alida1234 HB User
pain.....

I have ages more questions.for you all....8 weeks ago had lam. At l5/s1. Dr. Said I had lots of calcificatikn and expect at least 15 weeks for recovery. I know that sitting is bad but has anyone used a lumbar pillow shaped like an o. Do they work? I am so tired of laying so much and having my husband do all the work!!! I do walk 15 min. 3 times a day.....will laying on my back with pillows hurt? I am only on 900 Mg of neurontin and usuallyhave little pain....sorry for the rambling....if it were not for my kindle fire and words with friends.....j woe go mad!!!! Thanks for any help on a time frame for recovery!

Old 02-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: pain.....

The reason why sitting is so bad, particularly after any lumbar surgery is because the act of sitting puts at least 30% more downward stress on the discs than either standing/walking or lying down. So for this reason, regardless of what your buttocks are sitting upon, it is hard on your spine, and therefore, you should not sit for longer than about 15 minutes before getting up and moving around a bit.

You do not want to lie with your body flat. You can sleep on your back if you put some support under your knees like a wedge-shaped bolster or some sort of pillow. Otherwise, sleeping on your side with a small pillow between your knees is OK. Sleeping on the stomach is not recommend unless you have a small pillow under your pelvic area so that the natural curves of the spine are supported and so you are not hyper-extending your lumbar spine.

If you are bored, take more short walks. The point of walking is to stretch out the spinal nerves. This helps to prevent scar tissue from attaching to a nerve as it is forming post surgery...usually from week 3 to about week 12.

You can prop yourself up with pillows behind your back and your hips and legs on the same level like "sitting" up in bed to read or watch TV -- just prop lots of pillows behind you so you are at more of a 45 degree angle than sitting upright. Again, you want the pillows to support your spine.

Can't help with the boredom. Can you take up a new hobby? Teach yourself to knit; take up some type of hobby you can do with your hands?

You can do some of your normal routine as long as you don't bend or twist or sit too long....does your doctor have you going to PT or doing any "approved" exercises at home? If you have access to a pool, you could walk in the water and do some simple exercises, again with your surgeon's permission.

All I can do is encourage you to be patient and to think about the "big picture" when you are bored. You don't want to have to go through this again, so do your best to get it right the first time! It can take many months after a laminectomy to start to feel like yourself again. If your surgeon has suggested 15 weeks, if I were you, I would prepare for even longer than that. Doctors tend to err on the optimistic side when giving time frames for recovery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
(female)

alida1234 HB User

Thanks for your response.....didn't mean to sound like I was so bored but have been dealing with the pain for many months. I do read a lot .....my doctor only allows me to walk. He said I could not do exercises or swim until I heal. Another question.....when I do have pain and I take neurontin, the pain subsides. Doesn't that mean that most of my pain is due to sciatica pain? Any thoughts out there on the doughnut pillow for the 15 min. That I can sit?
thanks!

Old 02-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

cheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB User

Sitting IS tough but my doc never limited the time I sat after my fusion. For me, a pillow behind my back helped more than sitting on something.

Stay positive. I try to think of pain in two categories....just hurting pain (which serves the important purpose of telling you something is wrong but not much else) and "productive" pain. I think of healing like post-workout soreness...it still HURTS but it is for a purpose. This helped me in the recovery time and now when I push it in PT (I told the PT my catch-phrase and he wants to make it a poster!)...just reminding myself the pain was b/c I was healing and was a step towards getting better. It doesn't make it go away, but it helps with the frustration of pain while healing.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

At the same time, all pain is not productive, and it is not always easy to differentiate that which signals a problem and that which is productive.

I think this is particularly true of sciatic or "sciatic-type" pain. If one has suffered that prior to surgery, and then is lucky enough to have it resolve post surgery, one wants to avoid activity that causes it to flare again. Once the nerve becomes inflamed, it can be almost impossible.

Alida ~ where do you have pain when you sit? Is it that feeling that the "sit bones" are going to pop right through the back of the thigh?

There is one product that helps to guide the body sit in the appropriately stacked position that some people have found helpful. It is called BackJoy and is available one line. I have used one for years. It is handy to take along when going to a restaurant, theatre, etc., anywhere that one will be sitting in uncomfortable seats for any period of time. You might check it out to see what it is all about.

But, again, regardless of what you are doing, be sure to change position often. This will help to avoid back spasms, etc.

Last edited by teteri66; 02-12-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
(female)

alida1234 HB User

Thanks again for.all the.responses.,.I was doing well until this weekend. I had not been out to eat in so long that my husband took me out but we sat at the bar so I could stand if needed but I guess it was too much! You asked about sitting....it just hurts in the lower area and my legs and feet start to go numb. That is why I think it is more my sciatic nerve than actually my back. Last night was.awful...,you r right.,when that nerve gets mad, it is hard to calm it down! Anyone have ideas on neurontin? I am on 900 Mg but feel I should.go up due to pain.,thanks again everyone! Doc says next surgery may be fusion.,want to avoid that!¡

Old 02-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Do your legs and or feet START to go numb or do they actually become numb? Is it in both legs? Does this happen any time other than when sitting?

Dosages of neurontin given for nerve pain can go up to 1800mg, so it sounds like you could go up without too much problem, if you tolerate it OK.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
(female)

alida1234 HB User

Yea...my feet and legs go numb.when I sit and when.the neurontinstarts.to.wear off. I could deal with the numbness but then.my hips and back.start hurting. I plan on calling the Dr to increase medals in the morning. Thank goodness I just retired from teaching!!!! A great way to.start a new.stage.in my life but plan on staying positive! Thanks again!

Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Unless the nerve has permanent damage, it makes me wonder if the nerve is still compressed.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
(female)

alida1234 HB User

I.wonder.that too.,.surgeon.said the disc was. "A mess.". Would x rays show a compressed Nrve? What can be done about this......another surgery? I decided to wait before I call and up the neurontin...other than that, I am on no other pain mess.,I think I must have.overdone it on sat. Thanks for all the responses.,it helps to vent.,I know my family is.tired.of my scenerios of back pain!!!!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

No, x-ray is best for showing bone. For the soft tissue, muscles, nerves, discs, etc. you need MRI.

But you are still early in the process. You just did more than your new back is used to, and it probably caused a bit of a flare. That is standard for recovery from spine surgery.

Try upping the neurontin and see if that helps.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
(female)

alida1234 HB User

Wow, tetonterii66,,,,you r begged than a doc.,.I have decided to wait a few days before I up the neurontin..,.I just sat for 15 min with no pain and walked this am for 17. Min.,again with no pain....I guess the Dr was correct.,u will have high days and low days..,don't get too high onthe high days,,,,don't get too low on the low days...today was 8 weeks.,I have 7 more before I go back to the Dr. ..thannks for keeping me on task..,patience.,patience.,thanks!

Closed Thread