It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
(male)

italnstallion99 HB User
2 Car accidents within 6 months (Hit from behind)

Back in early september I was stopped at a light and I got rear ended by someone. I didn't have any symptons until about 2 weeks later. I woke up with a stiff neck and back, but was able to rub it out so I could turn my neck. Let me say after that I had throbbing back pain around by left shoulder blade area. In addition to throbbing back pain, my underarms would hurt once in a while and now my underarms sweat more often then they used no. I am not sure if this is anxiety or not.
Anyway the throbbing pain around my shoulder blade was very bad in september and october. It pretty much went away around thanksgiving, but had come back every now and then after the holidays. There were times I couldn't even turn my head to back up my car because I would feel the muscle around my left shoulder blade.
Last week I was at a stop sign and someone hit me from behind again. I didn't feel any pain until 4 days later. I went to reach in my kicthen for something and could feel the muscle very sore and the same with backing up my car again.
I'm not sure what to do here. I do not have any medical insurance since I am a consultant and get paid by the hour. I need to see a doctor. A friend told me it could not something minimal or something major like a slipped disk or nerve damage.

I really need help here

Old 02-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: 2 Car accidents within 6 months (Hit from behind)

The typical advice would be to see your doctor and have a MRI to check on the situation with the discs. Without insurance, I'm not sure how you would proceed. Is there a clinic in your area where you could be treated?

It doesn't sound like you have serious issues as you do not mention numbness or other more serious symptoms that would be an indication of nerve damage. If it is a disc problem, they can and do heal without surgical intervention.

I imagine you suffered a whiplash -type injury, which can cause a great deal of pain and/or discomfort, and takes time to heal.

You might want to scroll further down on the main page to another area called the "Spinal Cord Disorders" board. Most of the people with cervical issues post there. Someone probably has experienced something similar and could further advise you.

I hope your luck improves out on the road. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

I understand that whiplash-type injuries can often take several days to manifest symptoms, which is consistent with your pain and with the other poster's statements. Since you don't have medical insurance, you will want to find either a low-cost or no-cost treatment option or another source of payment. For a low-cost clinic, you can start with Planned Parenthood. I realize that there is some political baggage with this organization, but if you call the local office, they should have some referral information for non-reproductive-health issues.

Do you have the information on either of the vehicles that hit you? Or, a police report indicating that you were hit from behind? If you have the information about the other driver, you can try a claim against their insurance. If you don't have the information, look at whether your car insurance covers your injuries. Also, if you are the victim of a crime (like a hit-and-run), you may qualify for victim's assitance. (I have a cousin who was hit while riding a bicycle and his health insurance had lapsed, so these were the options he pursued. I think he eventually found the driver who had fled and is making a claim against the driver.)

Old 02-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
(male)

italnstallion99 HB User

I just found out that my car insurance does cover me to see a doctor. I cannot go through the othe persons policy who hit me b/c we have the same insurance company. It's a state law for medical I have to use my own policy. I think these symptons are wiplash related. I was not aware that they do not show up right away. Like I said after the first accident they took 2+ weeks to show up. This time it's only been a few days. I do have the police reports stating I was hit from behind and I was not at fault. The only downfall to using my insurance policy is the first 500 dollars is my responsibility since that is my deductible. In additon I may be subject to rate hikes but I would rather find out what is wrong. I can always find another insurance company

Old 02-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
(female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

document as much as possible ,since whiplash can cause problems later on in life ,remember to tell future doctors that you were hit from behind, I have a lot of cervical and back issues and I can remember the first thing the doctors asked me is if I was in an accident ,it helps them determine if it is degenerative or caused by the accident so then they will know how to treat you

good luck to you

Old 02-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

Good news on the vehicle insurance -- the $500 deductible is well-worth paying to find out what is wrong. Insurance laws and motor vehicle points vary from state to state, but a non-fault accident or two should have a minimal effect on your insurance rates. Keep in mind that the insurance companies will try to avoid paying claims, so documentation is doubly important. As a consultant you may have had to miss work due to your injuries and now for treatment. Be sure to keep track of any jobs you have had to turn away. Let us know how your doctor's appointment goes.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
(female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User

I was hit from behind by two cars, my med-pay paid $1,000 up front (nothing out of pocket despite having a deductible). I realize all insurance companies can be different but you might want to double check.

My chiropractor had to tell me about my med-pay. Although I called my insurance company regarding the (no fault) accident, injuries, etc, they didn't bother mentioning it being available. --Best of luck.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:47 AM   #8
(male)

Runner800 HB User

I suggest you see a lawyer that specializes in motor vehicle accidents, and that acts on a contingency fee. You should be able to get some initial advice for free.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
(female)

frenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB User

I was rear ended in Sept. I went to the dr 5 days later. Since I called my car ins right away they paid for everything with no fault. I did not have to pay my deductible. not sure why, but i am not questioning it. I also got a copy of the police report. I have been to the dr 1x since the accident and go to PT 2-3x a week. No payment on my part. I have also had xrays and MRI's. I did have a preexisting situation as I had ACDF 2 levels about 8 months prior to accident. You need to be seen and get xray and Mri along with a lawyer. Just be careful who you chose. Good luck

Closed Thread