It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
(female)

Angelicdragon HB User
L5S1 micro-discectomy advice.

Hi. We were involved in a car accident back in July 2011 when the car in front of us hit a light pole. We were in the process of stopping to see if they were OK so being we were in a strange city I had the road atlas on my knees. As i was leaning forward to put the atlas on the floor there was a sudden jolt followed very quickly by a second one. The light pole had fallen across the roof of the car where the windscreen joins the roof and smashed the windscreen and damaged every panel on the car. The second jolt was as the pole fell off the back of the car onto the road with still enough force to make it bounce backup and hit underneath the car. It was a raining, cold horrible night.

Anyhow, as of October I noticed back ache just constant but there. Then the cramps started always in my left leg. I thought it may have been because by then I was pregnant and foot, lower leg cramps are my first sign. I miscarried just after 6 wks but the leg cramps continued. My back got so bad I could not find any comfortable position or height to wrap the Christmas presents and no friends would help. Then just after Christmas the sciatica in my left leg started, constant and worsening. In the end, end of January on the Monday I saw one of my two GPS. She said yep simple sciatica,put me on valium, endoneand voltaren and sent me from a CT scan. Made an appt for next morning with my uual gp of 8 yrs. She showed how the discs between L3 and L4 had blown out, the same with L4 and L5 and L5 and S1. Complication was the one between L5 and S1 had also gone the other way as well and calcified against my spinal cord which was being bent and compressed. She replaced the. End one with tramadol and added lyrics and celebrex inr the stead of voltaren. If that didn't work over the next two weeks she would send me to a neuro surgeon and may need surgery.

Well that by the February 2 and my birthday was the next day, Friday. We had friends up for a bb Saturday and somehow even though all I did all day as eit with no alcohol I slept on Sunday and when I woke it was in my mind 9am. I in fact it was 3 pm. I sat on the couch ( had to use a walking stick by then) then when i got up and tried to go back to bed as i was in so much pain, I found I could not walk at all. My left leg was not only beyond the word pain but would not work.
Ambulance came and had some out of this world thank goodness painrelief as they got me onto the troley. I don't recall much oof the half hour trip. Was sent to MRI Monday morning and in theatre at 4 pm. I had the half of the disc removed tnatwas affevting the spinal cord. It was wonderful waking up to a pain free left leg although the pain in my back I lived on morphine for 3 days. I was in hopitalnearly 3 weeks. So depressig missing my youngest kids still at home (Nick 19, Samuel 7 and Daniel 2). My 20 yr old daughter came in e ery second day and even had her second baby and went home while I was still in hospital.my 27 yr old son lives too far away to visit.

So now I wonder how much my life will change. I still have three herniated discs and apparently the scan also showed osteoarthritis but the Dr never showed me where that was on the scan. I till want one more baby and I amVERY into gardening and hating seeing the weeds and I can't pull them out.luckily our two year old is not affected by a HD like his brothers so my husband can take him with him on most of his jobs (alarm and security installer) sothat,'s me.
48 and paid up in bed having overdone it this morning.

Anyone know when I can sleep on my tummy, my Dr did say but I was drugged up I don't remember.
Had my painkillers, Valium, lyrics and oxazapam so sleep calls.

Judy :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread