It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Expansion of fusion & osteotomy of T10 - What to expect?

Just a quick history: I have osteoporosis and have experienced fractures at many different levels of my spine. Currently I am fused from about T3-S1 with fusion also of my SI joints. I've been having pain at about the level of mid spine between my shoulder blades and also pain in my lower back, pelvis, electrical shock-like pain at the base of my spine and going down my right leg. I have lost control of my bowels on 2 occasions and currently cannot really feel when my bladder is full.

After MRIs & CT scans my spine surgeon tells me that I have a fracture/collapse at T1-T3 and a collapse/fracture at T10. The T10 collapse is an old finding which up until now hadn't caused me any pain.

He has advised that I need to have an extension of my existing fusion to include C4-T4 and an osteotomy at the T10 level. I've read about osteotomies on the internet but stil not sure I understand what it entails. If anyone has had these surgeries can you tell me what to expect as far as post-operative pain and length of recovery time? Will I need to wear a neck brace? The last surgery I had was fusion from about T5-T7 (I think) and it was one of the most painful operations I've ever had. This upcoming surgery will be my 13th in 10 years. Any advice? Thanks so much

Old 03-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Expansion of fusion & osteotomy of T10 - What to expect?

Wow. You have really had a difficult time with your spine. I'm afraid I don't have the experience to be able to reply to your post, but wanted to acknowledge it and send a big hug.

Have you considered getting a second opinion, although I suppose after all these other surgeries no one else would want to go into your back. I'm sure the location of normal landmarks has all been re-arranged.

Do they think that the loss of bowel control and the leg pain is all related to the thoracic issues? or cervical issues? Since most people on this board are dealing with lumbar issues, I always tend to think of cauda equina issues...but I suppose it could be coming from the cervical level too.

In any case, I hope someone else has more knowledge than I.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread