It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
(male)

RonC11 HB User
L5 Radiculopathy foot pain and steroid injection

Hi..

well, I have been dealing with a foot neuroma for over a year....complications have now created a situation where i have major discomfort in my three left toes (little, 4th and middle)...my middle and pinky pull down, and my 4th toe pulls up (a result of a foot break that left that toe "loose")0 these toes are all now achy and I feel pressure on them when wearing ANY kind of shoes.

My new orthopod diagnosed this as an L5 radiculopathy and recommended epidural steroid injection. of course then by older back doctor said that the left side of my foot would be a S1...and said that with my limited back pain (not an issue right now)_, he wouldn't recommend the shot.

I have been trying to find answers for my neuroma and now these other foot issues for a while...it all gets very frustrating...

thoughts from anyone much appreciated!

Ron

Old 03-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: L5 Radiculopathy foot pain and steroid injection

Have you had an MRI of the back that indicates any compression of the L5 or S1 nerve? Personally I do not think I would take the risk of having an epidural spine injection unless you are sure the nerve injury is further up in the lower back or leg.

It seems odd that you would only have the one symptom, in your toes, if it were a spinal nerve compression. But I do not know that much about neuromas and how they differ from the type of numbness those of us with back issues have from compressed spinal nerves.

Doctors will tell you that ESIs are benign and there is little risk involved. While this is mostly the case, I wouldn't subject myself to that risk without having proof positive that it was the right procedure for the problem.

Have you had spine problems in the past and the foot problem followed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
(male)

RonC11 HB User

Hi...

thanks for responding...what has your experience been?

Here are my responses?-- Have you had an MRI of the back that indicates any compression of the L5 or S1 nerve?

YES, 20 years of b ack issues..sorry, should have stated that. Both the new orthopod, my PT person for the last year, and an EMG test all talk about "chronic" (not acute) L5 radiculopathy... my PT guy for the last year has been saying most of these issues are my back (although I DID drop a ladder on my foot over 2 years ago that started all this!)

Personally I do not think I would take the risk of having an epidural spine injection unless you are sure the nerve injury is further up in the lower back or leg.

It seems odd that you would only have the one symptom, in your toes, if it were a spinal nerve compression. But I do not know that much about neuromas and how they differ from the type of numbness those of us with back issues have from compressed spinal nerves.

Doctors will tell you that ESIs are benign and there is little risk involved. While this is mostly the case, I wouldn't subject myself to that risk without having proof positive that it was the right procedure for the problem.

Have you had spine problems in the past and the foot problem followed?

AGAIN, yes...but NOT really related...

Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Is the pain in your foot the only "issue" you are having? Do you have any pain down the back of your leg or in the buttock? Does it hurt more when standing or walking, and less when sitting or lying down?

Old 03-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
(male)

RonC11 HB User

hi... pain ONLY in foot..years ago when first had back problems had various sciatica issues...not f or years now..slightly sensitive in the buttocks when the docs touch certain spots. worse when walking...and with mis aligned toes now (slight, but there), starts drawing up the calf, etc.

Closed Thread