It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
(female)

vabacknfibro HB User
Exclamation need advice on asking about SSD- back pain and also fibro

I have used Healthboards to read about others problems and now is my turn for help... I need feedback on if I should ask my work about SSD for my back and fibro problems.

history of problems- I was in a BAD car accident when i was 16 (43 now) and have always had back problems. In my younger days I was very active with hiking, camping and even had an antique furniture business at one point. Now I can barely move!

in the past year I have exponetionally gone downhill and was diagnosed with fibro and back issues. my PCP retired and he gave me vicodin 5/500 for years to help with pain but then the practice suggested I see someone for pain management. I went to a neurologist who was more concerned with me doing a sleep study (which I had previously done) b/c he had just started one. He was not concerned about my back and suggested after I asked him about long acting meds to see a pain management center.

Im not stupid and understand that 6-8 vicodin a day is bad for me but that is all i knew and was desperate for help so I went to a pain center. like most on here the 1st appt was horrible and they made me feel like a criminal. I left crying and ended up writing a letter dismissing myself from care along with the rx's they gave me. (vicodin 1 every 6-8 hrs, lyrica 1 day) I swore I could do it on my own! well 4 days without pain medicine and trying the free 7day trial of lyrica (horrible drug) I caved and asked the pain dr to help.

I started a daily diary and my second appt with her was much better. she had ordered xrays of low back and knees which showed hypertrophic spurring in the lower thoracic and L1-L2 with disc narrowing. on the second appt she did an exam and actually said "oh wow" while palpating my back. we talked about long acting meds and I decided to try Nucynta ER 100mg 2x day with vicodin if needed and zanaflex 4mg 3xday.

I have been on the Nucynta ER for the 10 day trial and have had no relief. so i am tapering my self off of that but I don't see the dr again for a couple of weeks.

I had xrays of my cervical spine and SI and hips taken last week- I can see from the CD they gave me how messed up my spine is!

I have routinely missed work b/c of headaches and this past week b/c of severe back pain. I tried to go in Friday but was crying in pain by Noon and came home. I cant go with out pay and have no sicktime to use. It seems I have a dr appointment or procedure or sick day every week to ask off for and I know they are getting sick of me asking.

since I began working my job in 2009 I have had cervical cancer, diagnosed with fibro and now debilitating back problems. what should I do? I was thinking that using SSD would help me get on track and i could deal with all my medical issues without stressing on the pay. My husband is supportive of anything I decided but worries about money.

this was the condensed version- thanks for reading!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread