It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User
Can't stand this back problem and tired of getting no where!!!

Hi there, it's been a while but I am wondering if anyone has some insight on this theory? Has anyone had any luck on an Orthapedic Dr. progressing with your back condition than a Neurosurgeon? All I am getting is...you should have the Spinal stimulator put in, I am not up for that, lots of reason why!!!
Thanks for any input!!!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Can't stand this back problem and tired of getting no where!!!

This is a complex question and depends on things as odd as what region of the country you live in. I think ortho spine surgeons are just as likely to recomment a neurostimulator as a neurosurgeon. When they get to the point where they don't really know why a patient is still in pain, it seems to me that spine surgeons fairly quickly suggest trying SCS.

For many reasons, I too disagreed with the surgeon who did my first lumbar surgery, and with a second surgeon I had consulted with previously who told me very casually that I should try a neurostimulator because nothing was obvious on my MRI. I was positive that there was still something mechanical wrong with my back that perhaps could be "fixed" and I wasn't willing to try SCS until all my other options had been explored...and I was convinced there was nothing else left to try.

It took me almost two years, many consultations, many injections, nerve blocks, tests, etc. to finally prove my point.

If you have only consulted with neurosurgeons, it is worthwhile going to an ortho spine surgeon or two for another look with a new set of eyes.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
monkey5 (03-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

tenton, thank you for replying, the reason I am not wanting to do the SCS is because I have kids I have to run constantly and one is still younger which yes why wouldnt I want to try that so I have less pain well I know that you have to make sure you to turn it off or you can get shocked for one and not to mention, the process of having it done is almost like surgery(yeah what do I want)I know that even if they found that what I have is the exact source of pain that whatever they do is a sure fix I know but...just not ready for the SCS step as I stated and I guess one persons bad experience that I know personally verse one good kinda ruined yet later down the line I might change my mind! I have a lot bulging discs upper and lower and a small tear in an upper disc in my Cervical area towards my kneck, which they say is not significant to warrant surgery, okay not that I want surgery but..I have constant headaches, numbness and especially tingling in my hands and I my arms get really weak when I carry things that is when they did the MRI for the upper as they thought it was something else and my dad pointed out that sounds like something to do with your upper back, as far as the lower they say mechanical, arthritis and the bulging, leg pain nerve pinching and has been since a car accident and a fall on the ice. I also know one of my sons have Spina Bifida Occulta and Spodylythesis grade I and they never knew until he had very thorough exrays by and Orthapedic Surgeon and thats why I asked, I also have been having alot of pain in my tailbone area and have the indent of someone who could have this as well. Yes I have had an MRI but not sure of that area or if its not something they were looking for they may have missed it, and trust me I know it's not so much what they can do to fix it its what we can do to manage whatever it is but it sure would be better knowing more what the cause is and if they could fix it, I am young and have been dealing with this for at least eight years
Monkey

Old 03-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Have you seen an orthopedic spine surgeon? If not, I would encourage you to do so. If you don't have copies of the MRIs, you can request them now so you will have them to take them to your appointment.

A surgeon will always try conservative measures before recommending surgery. Even though your lower back may cause more problems, the problem in your neck may be more in need of attention. Most surgeons will not treat both areas at the same time. They will determine which area is the "worst" and will treat it first.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:51 AM   #5
(male)

Runner800 HB User

[QUOTE=tetonteri66;4941598]Have you seen an orthopedic spine surgeon? If not, I would encourage you to do so. If you don't have copies of the MRIs, you can request them now so you will have them to take them to your appointment.

A surgeon will always try conservative measures before recommending surgery. Even though your lower back may cause more problems, the problem in your neck may be more in need of attention. Most surgeons will not treat both areas at the same time. They will determine which area is the "worst" and will treat it first.[/QUOTE]

Good advice.

Closed Thread