It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
(female)

blondeprincess2 HB User
Can anyone help? Feel like crying.

I am a 25 year old female.

Almost exactly 4 years ago I was involved in a car accident (I was parked, someone reversed into me at approxm 5-10mph). Although the accident was minor, I suffered with back problems.

From that day on until present I have had excruciating lower back pain (from my bra strap to my bum) and occasionally mid back pain (between shoulders and bra strap)

I had a lumbar MRI which showed no injury. I saw an orthapedic surgeon who said any symptoms would have resolved within 6-9 months of the accident and that it is all psychological pain.

I am getting fed up of noone listening to me. My GP told me that unless I needed a wheelchair then noone would do anything. He recommended exercises to strengthen my back muscles.

I also get sciatica occasionally, usually in my right bum cheek.

The pain in my back gets better with rest (ie when I go to bed) and gets worse with activity.

I put some questions to the orthapedic surgeon and he literally wrote back saying he could not explain why I have sciatica, he could not explain why the pain gets better with rest and he could not explain why my lower back is consistently hot to the touch in comparison to the rest of my back. He said his clinical examination found no cause for the pain (his examination consisted of a 5 min app, where he felt my spine and asked me to bend)

I had my daughter in Oct 2009 and had an epidural - which was correctly placed but did not take effect, despite epidurals being 99% effective at giving total or almost total pain relief. I believe this was due to my back problems.

I am overweight by about 3.5-4 stone, but was normal weight at the time of the accident and normal weight right up until my daughter's birth. After my daughter's birth I started to put on weight from not being able to exercise. I think my weight possibly could contribute, though this has never been said and does not explain the pain for the first 2+ yrs.

I am fed up of being in pain all the time. Noone will take me seriously as all they hear is "compo claim"

There must be something wrong!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2012, 04:16 AM   #2
(female)

IamNancy HB User
Re: Can anyone help? Feel like crying.

You didn't say if you had an MRI or not... maybe its time for a new doctor.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
(female)

blondeprincess2 HB User

sorry thought I mentioned it... I had an MRI of my lumbar spine which came back normal

Old 03-10-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
(male)

Runner800 HB User

Sometimes a person can visit a number of doctors before finding a doctor who treats you in the way you think you should be treated.

Pretty poor if all you were told by your ortho was that your pain is all psychological (and not told anything more).

I'd recommend you have a look at the links below (they're not as boring as you might think).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_regional_pain_syndrome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_pain

Discuss the content of the articles with your doctor (or another doctor).

The Following User Says Thank You to Runner800 For This Useful Post:
peps90436 (03-10-2012)
Old 03-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
(male)

griff82 HB User

Have you tried physical therapy? I get pretty bad lower back pain sometimes (from having been a runner for a long time and having one leg slightly shorter than the other). I found that just doing the right exercises and stretches helped a lot.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

peps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB User

Sure got that right that it can take a while to find the doctors that will listen to a person! I think there are many of us on here that have gone through that scenario.

Keep pushing, and try to get in with some different doctors! Request copies of your medical records and your imaging studies as well. There may be stuff noted in there by the radiologist that the doctors are ignoring too. It may seem like nothing to them, but it could actually be something. Each person is different.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-10-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Closed Thread