It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
(male)

acott HB User
Continued pain 5 months after microdisectomy

September 2011 microdisectomy at northern general hospital, sheffield.

Mri Notes- L4-l5 , Disc space narrowing with broard based prosterior disc protrusion and annular tear which is indenting the anterior thecal sac narrowing thecal sac 7.5mm diameter and crowding nerve routes. Ligamentum flavum hypertrophy and minor degenerative change in the posterior facet joints.

L5-s1

Posterior bulging of the annulus indenting the thecalsac without canal stenosis or focal disc protrusion. everything else normal.

Continued symtoms.- Pain in legs, that is a strong aching feeling with slight pins and needles effect. Pian radiates from kness to ankles.

Not had any pain relief from operation to present day.

operation was a nerve decompression l4-l5.

Surgeon notes say, surgery was a sucess with no problems.

Any ideas why i am still in pain and i have not had any relief from symtoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Continued pain 5 months after microdisectomy

Sorry, but I am a bit confused. Is the MRI report you posted from a MRI that was done after your surgery in Sept? The report indicates the type of problems at L4-L5 that could cause the symptoms you describe.

An annular tear can be painful. Also you have a broad-based herniation that is pushing into the thecal sac. This is taking up space that is needed by the nerves so they can pass freely. In addition at this level the facet joints are showing signs of degenerative changes (wear and tear) and the ligament flavum is thickening, another sign of degeneration and something else that takes up space, crowding the nerves.

If this MRI is current, even though you had a decompression surgery on that same segment, it looks like there are things that would cause nerve pain still or again....

The dermatome for the L4 nerve runs down the front of the thigh, across the top of the knee and then down the medial side of the calf into the big toe. L5 runs more-or-less next to it, more on the outside of the calf and down to the three middle toes of the foot. A patient can have pain anywhere along the path of the nerve from the lower back to the toe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
(male)

acott HB User
Re: Continued pain 5 months after microdisectomy

HI , no the mri was done before i went in for the operation in september.

The surgeon said it was a sucess, but i still get pain in both legs. The pain is actually different from what i had before. Before i had my operation i had pain in my both feet and ankles. The pain i have now is a different pain, a dull aching pain that is in both legs from my thighs down to my ankles. Although the pain i had before as seem to have gone.

Any ideas?

Closed Thread