It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
(female)

Jody417 HB User
Cortione shots then surgery

[FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="6"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

In a couple weeks I will be having my first cortisone shot for my back, hopefully putting off back surgery for as long as possible. Read my profile to see my history. Right now I'm in so much pain, I feel I can barely walk. Has anyone had much success with a shot?

Last edited by Jody417; 03-13-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Cortione shots then surgery

Welcome -- I must not know how to read profiles correctly, because I don't see your history.

I have had four epidural injections: three lumbar and one cervical. The three lumbar injections each helped for about two days, and I ultimately had fusion surgery. The cervical was last May, and I have received about 90 percent relief, which is still true.

I had an extruded disc, with central canal stenosis and biforaminal stenosis in the lumbar area. In the cervical, I had left-sided foraminal stenosis due to a bulging disc. For me, the epidural effectiveness was dependent on the degree of the injury.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
(female)

Jody417 HB User
Wink Re: Cortizone shots, then surgery

[FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="6"][COLOR="Blue"][B][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks for the quick response. I'll get the hang of it all. I don't know if it says history but in my profile I explain what has happened to me. My Doctor said what he will end up having to do is fuse L4-5. But I also need hip replacement, so I wonder in what order everything will end up being done. Thanks again SweetpeainSF, Hugs, Jody Hey, did you see how close we live?

Last edited by Jody417; 03-13-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: correct capitalization

Old 03-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Welcome to the board. It is always scary to have that first injection. I had injections with three different doctors over the course of about six years. Interestingly, the first two doctors' injections had no effect. Other than the discomfort that I had for the first day or two, I wouldn't have even known I'd had something. Then I started going to a Vietnamese doctor who does not believe in any type of sedation for the procedures. For the first time, the injection had some effect. I also had some reaction with every subsequent ESI.

He was very strict about his "rules." His patients are instructed to go home and rest for 48 hours after the injection. (Almost all doctors say to rest the remainder of the day and then you can resume normal activities the following day, return to work, etc.) The theory behind this is that the steroid is being injected into an non-contained area, rather than into a muscle or joint or whatever. If one is up moving around, the medicine gets dispersed more quickly than if one is lying down, reclining or at least, not moving around.

If everyone on the board responded to your inquiry, I imagine you would get that many different responses to how the injection affected him or her. And just because you have one reaction the first time, it may be entirely different the next time. It seems to me that the majority of people do not get any long-lasting results, but occasionally, for some lucky people, it will resolve the issue! We'll keep our fingers crossed that you are one of those lucky ones!!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

Hi Jody -- I live in the East Bay and work in SF. Your profile indicates that you are 53. I would hesitate to replace a hip at such a young age. Replacements tend to last 15 years, and each revision is progressively more prone to complication. I know that this is not back specific, but I have been working through three hip surgeries for the past five years, which have certainly impacted my back.

I urge you to consider either arthroscopic surgery or hip resurfacing, rather than replacement, if you are a candidate for either. I can recommend a doctor who does hip scopes, and has himself had his hip scoped, so he understands a patient's perspective. (I am assuming that you have had MRIs and diagnostic testing for your hip, and that your doctor has ruled out your back injury as the origin of the hip pain.)

If you do need a fusion, you will be expected to WALK. A lot. So, if your hip is causing mobility issues, you should resolve the hip issue first. And, if your hip is still jacked-up (my technical term), it will not help your back heal properly. I think of it like building a house, foundation first. I would also recommend finding a doctor who is sports-medicine oriented or a physiatrist, to coordinate your care and monitor your progress with your surgeons.

Closed Thread