It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
(female)

IndigoKidz HB User
Question Mother of 4 young Children- Told NEED Back Surgery

Hi! I am new to this Forum/ Site, and am SOOOOO HAPPY to have found it!!!

I am 36 year old Stay Home Mom of 4 children

I have had back issues for years now, which has been getting worse. I am on some pretty strong pain meds for my pain, which work ok. I have been dealing as I do not want to go any higher. I'm already nervous about getting off of them and the w/d symptoms, but ALSO CAN'T WAIT till that day!

Anyhow- I had my last appt, which was also to go over my latest MRI report, yesterday (Thursday), and this is all the "Fun" stuff it stated:

- Marginal Osteophytes seen at Multiple Levels (Thoraic), Schmorls Nodes seen at T10, T11, T12, L1

- T12-L1 Disc Reveals Diffuse Posterior Bulging, Indenting the Anterior Subarachnoid Space. (NormalSignal Intensity)

- Prominent Disc Narrowing at the L3-L4 level, w/ Hypertrophic Spurring (alignment "appears" normal)

- Focal Disk Dengenerative changes at the L3-L4 Disc Space w/ Disc Narrowing.

- Loss of Normal Lumbar Lordosis.

- Marginal Osteophytes are seen at Multiple Levels & Schmorls Nodes are Seen at Multiple Levels.

- L3-4 & L4-5 Discs are Degenerated.

-L3-4 Disc reveals Left Foraminal Protrusion, Indenting the Left L3 Nerve Root. There is also Left Paracentral and Foraminal Herniation, Indenting the Thecal Sac andLeft L4 Nerve Root.

I have been referred to a NeuroSurgeon to discuss Surgical options, which my AMZING Pain Dr. Feels is the only option available. (I was very lucky to get one of the owners of this very Large, ALL-in-1 type of facility (they can do simple surgeries, have neuro on staff, etc. Which is great since there is no chance of loss information or lack of communication. And my Dr. is beyond knowledgeable! I've had many pain drs in the past. Some just dumped me because they felt that I would always be in pain, and were worried about the gvmts crack down, never even trying to help me. Not this Dr. He knows how badly I want to be a hands on active mother, that is pain and med free! And he has been trying everything!)

Back to MRI, Surgery, ect-
Over the past 2 yrs, my MRI's are showing that my back is getting progressively worse and surgery, he feels, if the only choice.

I am only 36 yrs old (Dr. thought I had to have been in an accident or fallen off of a building at some time in my history. Now, I'm not sure if he was kidding/ over exaggerating, or being completely serious. Any thoughts?

Does anyone have similar issues? What did you do to relieve the pain and prevent it from getting any worse? If Surgery, what did you have done? How did it work? How painful? How long for recovery?

Can anyone give me more insight to what this diagnosis means? My Dr/ was running behind, and I didn't want to hold him up, thinking I'd see the Neuro the next day (forgetting that my husband had to go into work for a meeting, which means I have to push it out a week.).

Thank you to ALL who can help shed light to what is going on w/ my back and what kind f procedures I might be facing, including pain and recovery. Made more stressful due to having such young children and that my family lives1,500 miles away (! Again, Thank you so much for any help/ info anyone is able to provide!

Sincerely,
Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread