It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
(male)

jparker31 HB User
Does This Sound Like Sciatica?

Hey guys,

Two weeks ago, I started having cramping pain in my legs and buttocks. I've tried everything to get rid of them, but nothing works. Stretches, meds, heating pad, walking....

The pain most often is in the back of my upper thigh extending into my buttocks. It's a cramping sensation like someone is pressing on my muscles. I have experienced some low back pain as well, but it does not occur as frequent as the cramping. I've had some periods of complete relief, but it comes back especially in the morning. I remember trying to wax my car and the pain was unbearable when I tried to bend down.

Last week, I noticed the sensation added a new layer. Hot burning sensation, almost like someone had ripped the skin off the back of my thighs. Oddly enough, I recorded in my journal that I had very similiar symptoms a year ago and ran to the doctor out of fear that I had a blot clot in my leg. They did an ultrasound which came back good so I don't think it's a blood flow issue. Does this sound like the sciatic nerve is being irritated?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

peps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB User
Re: Does This Sound Like Sciatica?

It does sound similar to sciatica, but there are several conditions that cause similar symptoms. It's best to start by having your doc do some x-rays and physical tests to start figuring things out. An orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the spine is preferable to a PCP, as they have a better understanding of spine issues and the physical tests to perform.

If you have x-rays done, be sure to get the radiologist report afterwards (you'd have to do a records request a few days afterwards). Often a radiologist will note things that some doctors don't see as being an issue, but actually are. I've learned this from personal experience.

Do you remember anything specific happening just before the pain started? A slip, fall, or something similar?

Catching things early and getting them figured out makes it easier to get things under control and keep them under control.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Does This Sound Like Sciatica?

Sometimes when a person has a bulging lower lumbar disc, the first symptom they notice is what feels like a cramp in the hamstring. Sometimes this is accompanied by lower back pain, but many times pain is just noticed in the buttock area and/or leg.

While you are waiting to get an appointment with your doctor, you might want to do some reading about sciatica. You will find many exercises for sciatica online, but do not start them until you get an accurate diagnosis as they could make the pain worse, depending on what is causing the sciatica.

But you should continue to move about and walking for exercise will not hurt you.

Closed Thread