It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
(female)

tdiorio HB User
7 Weeks post microdiscectomy still pain and tingleing

I am 7 weeks post op from a microdiscectomy L5 S1 herniation. I still have a numb left foot and terrible back pain. I still cannot sit up on my own or roll over in bed. I feel like a beetle flopped over on her back. Anyway, the neurosurgeon's assistant saw me two weeks post op. I told him about the pain they did a second MRI and it came back no new herniation but there was spinal fluid present and inflammation. He just said to give it time and that was that. I called back 5 weeks post op and asked if there was physical therapy or something else I could try and he said he would order PT for me. I start next week. Did have a small meeting with PT therapist and he said I should not still have the numb foot or the pain. He saw what I go through when he asked me to lay on the table and then get up after I had been laying there for 20 minutes. Yeah right. Does any of this sound normal? If I have to go back to the Neuro, which is what the PT said if he can't make headway with me, should I go to the same Neuro or do I just go to a new one and take what records I have? This pain is so bad and I still have to go to work everyday for 8 hours. I barely make it through and my family is ready to kill me. I have not been doing exercise. I walk some but that flares it up worse. Any advice or even someone to say it is okay.... I am scared I will be in this pain and numb sensation forever. Is this normal for 7 weeks?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: 7 Weeks post microdiscectomy still pain and tingleing

Are you unable to roll over or sit up due to pain or to weakness? Depending on the extent of the nerve compression you had prior to surgery, it is possible to still be in pain...but it should be at least somewhat controlled with pain medication, and you should be able to move...unless you were unable to move prior to surgery.

There should not be spinal fluid present. I would suggest you call the surgeon's office and be iinsistent about getting an appointment, and don't let them put you off. I'm afraid you will find it impossible to get another surgeon to take over your case at this point. Some are reluctant to take on another surgeon's case to begin with, but usually will not do it for at least six months, and sometimes longer.

When inflammation is a continuing problem after surgery, it is fairly common to be given a course of steroids to try to knock it down, or even an epidural steroid injection.

Was there anything particularly difficult about your surgical experience? Did you feel this bad in the days right after surgery?

I would suggest you call the hospital records department and request a copy of the operating room notes. It is a good idea to get copies of your imaging and records and keep them at home in a permanent folder. You never know when you might need them and they are handy to refer to when you have questions.

I encourage you to call your surgeon's office Monday morning and ask for an appointment -- it is unfortunate you are having to work as I'm assuming it is contributing to your lack of healing.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
tdiorio (03-24-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #3
(female)

tdiorio HB User
Re: 7 Weeks post microdiscectomy still pain and tingleing

Thank you teteri66 for talking to me here. You have some sound advice. I cannot roll over or sit up because it feels like say an extremely sore or stiff muscle, only it is my entire lower back. I felt pretty good right after surgery during the day when I would be up and around, of course when I would sleep it has been horrible since the very beginning. The is intense pain and it just doesn't function. I was able to move prior to surgery. All I was told was that he had to really stretch the nerve in order to get to the disc. That was what he said when I told him my foot still had the pins and needles feeling. I don't know how to cope any more. I think my family is completely burned out with me being in pain all the time now and mentally that pain is throwing me into a very deep depression. Currently it is 3:00 AM and I can't even relax enough to fall asleep.

Closed Thread