It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
(female)

succotash HB User
Do I need a new bed?

I have chronic back pain from stress and anxiety. So its muscle pain. The other night I was lying on my miracle balls (not those balls!....dirty minds! It's The Miracle Ball Method by Elaine Petrone), and it made my back feel better. I then got into bed and started reading. My back was fine. After about 15 minutes, my back starts hurting! I want to know if it's my bed or the inflamed trigger points that i've been avoiding tending to, and thus the pain was inevitable?

My bed is a costco memory foam mattress, less than a year old.

Last edited by succotash; 03-25-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Do I need a new bed?

When you were reading in bed, was your head elevated? Were you inclined? Properly supported?

Have you tried lying on the floor or a yoga mat for comparison? Before going out and spending money on a new mattress, you could use your miracle balls then go immediately to the mattress store and try out other mattresses. Or use the Miracle Balls then go for a walk. You might end up with the same discomfort.

I looked up the Miracle Ball info, and it seems similar to the self-massage I have been doing after my spinal fusion. Areas around the fusion have been compensating for the fusion, so I take a couple of tennis balls and put the between myself and the wall to work out tense muscles between my shoulder blades and in the buttock area, too. Not as structured as Miracle Ball, but almost free.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
(female)

nova98 HB User

If you DO decide to buy a new mattress, be sure to do some research online. There are several forums where people discuss what they've experienced in mattress shopping. It's amazing how the manufacturing of mattresses has changed over the years (and not all for the good, thus the need for advance research ;>)

Old 03-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
(female)

succotash HB User
!

[QUOTE=SweetPeainSF;4949976]When you were reading in bed, was your head elevated? Were you inclined? Properly supported?

[/QUOTE]

My head was on a very flat pillow.
But one thing i've noticed is that when i put some extra support under my neck, my back hurts. I was having daily neck pain, including while lying down in bed. I bought a really flat pillow, rolled it up under my neck, and the pain stopped. I noticed my back would hurt while doing this, but I ignored it. After a few days of this, my back was hurting constantly during the day. What gives?! When I put the miracle ball under my neck my back hurts again also. But I need the tension relief.

thanks for your input.

Last edited by succotash; 03-25-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

Have you had your back checked out by a doctor? You could be having a myriad of different problems, many more serious than simple tension. I experience tension in my shoulders and neck area, which is likely caused by the muscles stabilizing around a herniated disc. The disc eventually caused worse problems: pain and weakness in my left hand. While you might not need medical treatment right now, you might want to know if you have any underlying conditions so you know what to avoid and any strengthening exercises you need.

As far as the pillow/neck issue, a pillow is likely too big. My PT recommended taking a small hand towel and rolling it up, and placing that under my neck to augment my regular pillow. I did that until I bought a memory foam cervical pillow. You may also want to try a pillow under your knees; it takes the pressure off your lower back. Or between your knees if you sleep on your side.

Closed Thread