It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
(male)

scoopy HB User
L4-S1 Fusion

2 years ago, as a last resort I decided to have surgery. After trying everything possible this was my only hope of living a somewhat normal life with maybe less pain. Well after all was said and done it went as best as I could imagine. This was the person who could'nt work. This was the person who was in pain 24/7 even w pain meds. This was the person who could'nt walk 5 minutes. This was the person who was very depressed and was looking at a life not worth living.
Forward 2 years later. I have a full time job working on my feet 10-12 hr days. I am off all pain meds and hav'nt had any in many months even an aspiran or motrin-zero meds. I am very active working out 2 hrs a day consisting of walking, strecthing, swimming and weights. I am what I used to be before my back pain began-a normal person with few restrictions.
Yes, there are some things I don't do such as jogging,playing golf,basketball or anyting that would put my back in jepordy. That is fine with me.

I'm not sure how long this will last-maybe 2 months or maybe forever. I just take one day at a time a be thankful for each and every day I am pain free.

It is a slow process and it took a full year plus before I started to feel this way. Kinda of ironic, when I do work 12 hr days, I ache all over but my back is the only part of of my body that does'nt ache.

I am greatful to my doc's who gave me a new lease on life. Good luck to all you guys out there seeking a better quality of life. There are many out there who benefit greatly from surgery.

Better health to all.

The Following User Says Thank You to scoopy For This Useful Post:
SweetPeainSF (03-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

peps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB User
Re: L4-S1 Fusion

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery! It's always nice to hear that someone has had good results with their surgeries. It does give the rest of us hope!

Old 03-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: L4-S1 Fusion

Thanks for posting with your comments. If a fusion patient can make it through the first year and the grafted bone grows as it is supposed to, they say that the new bone will grow strong and after that first year, any physical stress will actually make the new bone stronger. Maybe that's what is allowing you to work 12 hour shifts and still have your back feel OK.

I admire you for changing your lifestyle a bit to accommodate your newly altered back. I think people get into trouble when they fall back into all their old bad habits and insist on continuing the activities that they know put additional stress on the discs.

I hope you will continue to have great success with your new back!

Closed Thread