It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
(male)

MPLead HB User
6 months Post OP Pain Coming Back

I am 22 years old I herniated two disc in June 2011 L3/L4 herniated to the left and L4/L5 to the right. I had major pain and pretty much couldnt walk around for more then 15 minutes. All right leg pain, and left leg was affected, if right leg was stretched out. I had micro discectomy in October 2011 on the L4/L5. After surgery I was informed that the disc has torn and pieces of the disc were crushing the sciatic nerve. They removed the pieces of course, and pain went away almost 5 days after surgery. I stopped all pain meds and since surgery I’ve had an annoying pain of 2/10 in my back its just there. Now in the last month my pain has been getting a bit worst and i can feel it now in my buttocks, on my right side and also now my left side. Why is it that this is happening now, I haven’t don’t anything crazy since surgery? Any thoughts? Pain is about a 4/10 and its like i can feel the sciatic nerve in my buttocks its weird.

Last edited by MPLead; 03-26-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: 6 months Post OP Pain Coming Back

Welcome to the board. I'm sorry you are having pain after you were hopeful that the disc situation had been resolved. Unfortunately in a small percentage of discectomy patients, the disc will reherniate, sometimes when the patient does no more than sneeze.

In your particular case, I think it is possible that one of the disc fragments was not located at the time of surgery and it is now irritating or pressing on a spinal nerve. You mentioned that the L4-L5 was operated on, but how was the L3-L4 herniation dealt with?

Is your current pain more down the back of your leg or the front of the thigh?

Have you returned to your surgeon to see what's going on?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: 6 months Post OP Pain Coming Back

I had a fusion almost four months ago, and yesterday got a new pain: a stabbing pain in my back. It responded to a mild muscle relaxant, and my PT identified the area and found a giant knot. I have never had a localized spasm. My muscle spasms have always engulfed my entire back, so I didn't recognize this pain as spasm-related. I'm hoping that your new pain isn't a new disc issue. Don't be afraid to check in with your surgeon: if caught early, you may be able to treat the new issue through more conservative treatment, like an epidural, even if it is a new disc problem.

Last edited by SweetPeainSF; 03-27-2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: grammar

Closed Thread