It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
(female)

succotash HB User
picking a mattress when you have myofascial pain

I have chronic back and neck pain due to anxiety. I just realized that my bed is extremely uncomfortable....I thought it was ME, but now I realize my bed is just too hard and doesn't let me relax. So I need a new bed....but I have all these muscle pains that I'm having a hard time getting a handle on. I'm too depressed and non-functioning to constantly sit there and work on my trigger points due to the fact that it took me nearly 20 chiropractic (trigger point therapy) sessions to get me to a more tolerable place. Now much of the pain is back and I feel so daunted. But I need a new bed but am wondering if I should get these trigger points down before I even start looking...

But my insurance ran out for chiropractic care until july..

I went mattress shopping today and of course, the more comfortable ones were the most $$$$. It's hard to know if it's a bed that brings on an ache, or if it's something I have to address (somehow).

I'm going to visit my former chiropracter who does adjustments and see if maybe i need an adjustment.... but if it's just myofascial pain that I have to address I don't know how I'm going to do this.

Help!!!

Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User
Re: picking a mattress when you have myofascial pain

I got a 3 inch memory foam mattress topper, and a good quality memory foam pillow. They have made a huge difference in my ability to sleep without so much pain! I don't wake up with numb limbs nearly as often now. I highly recommend them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
(female)

succotash HB User

thanks but already tried those! (

Old 03-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

A good mattress can be an investment. Check out multiple before making such a purchase and insist on lying on the mattress for an extended period. (Figure out how long you are able to lie in your current bed before you sense discomfort and use that as a guideline on how long you need to lie on the demo beds.) I don't know about the quality of their mattresses, but I think Ikea gives you a 90-day trial period. I kind of wonder what they do with those mattresses, once they are returned.

You might try a couple of back/ergonomic stores. They often have dealt with folks with similar issues and may have recommendations. You might be able to use health savings account money to assist with your purchase, if your employer has such a program. Many stores also offer extended interest-free payment periods, but read the fine print on these offers.

I use a memory foam wedge, from a back store, under my knees to alleviate lower back pain, and it helps me a lot.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I've personally never tried one, but I know many back patients recommend a Sleep Number bed as you can adjust the firmness as your physical situation changes. You can adjust it as the night goes on and the body is starting to develop sore points.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-07-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Closed Thread