It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
(female)

heavnbnd HB User
Question Dr. recommends Microdiscectomy

I have L4-5 12mm extrusion. This injury since July 2011. I've had severe pain down butt, outside L. leg to foot, numb toes some diminished strength in toe. The pain at it's worst has been shooting pain all the way down. Other times the worst ache I've ever felt. Unbearable to the point of pacing like a caged cat just trying to get away from the pain. That pain thank God has gone and now I have constant ache with some periods of severe, sharp pain. I had ESI in Nov. but by the time it was approved my worst pain was already gone, hard to tell if it helped. Then a month later I slept heavy and woke up with the lower 1/2 of my body twisted, when I stood up the severe pain was back. Well, 2 mths, of way too much pain meds and another ESI was authorized. I was at the point of having the discectomy then but my Neuro convinced me to try the injection again. Feb. had the ESI, the Dr. tapped the nerve in the process, almost jumped off the table! After this I had a burning down my leg worse than before. Well, I feel like an idiot but 5 days after, while walking down the aisle of a store, my feet flew out from under me (floor slippery, not a clutz!!) and I landed really hard on my left hip. Needless to say the severe pain returned with a vengeance! So, new MRI shows a slight increase in herniation and now Neuro suggests Microdiscectomy. So here I am, a little nervous and asking for anyone who's had this done to please let me know how it went. Positive or negative, I just like to be fully informed and not go in blindly. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
(male)

Ryan8680 HB User
Re: Dr. recommends Microdiscectomy

I had a MD 9/10. It was great for a few months, but unfortunately for me the disc collapsed and I am now 6 weeks post op from a l4 l5 fusion. Everyone reacts differently, but I can tell you from experience to not be afraid of this procedure. I do wish I had researched all the options for this procedure beforehand. If you are considering the procedure you should check out a place in Tampa Florida. I believe it is called Laser Spine Institute. They do a procedure which is much less invasive as what your neurosurgeons would do.

Good Luck

Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
(female)

heavnbnd HB User
Re: Dr. recommends Microdiscectomy

Thanks for the info and encouragement. I am on the West Coast so Tampa isn't really an option. I'm sure there's laser surgeons here but probably insurance won't approve. How is your fusion and recovery? As we get older I know that the discs have less and less moisture so that is quite possibly in my future. Take care.

Closed Thread