It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
(male)

GTfan HB User
Anybody know what is wrong with me?

I have been experiencing an uncomfortable pinching feeling in upper back/neck area for the last few months. I have experienced high blood pressure and anxiety attacks also, but it has been awhile since these symptoms have resurfaced.

It is hard to pinpoint exactly where the pinching is. Sometimes it feels like it is in my deep in my upper back, right in the center where my spine is. Other times i feel it in my neck and my throat even. It can even be hard to swallow at times. I also think its in my chest at times.

I went to the ER a couple of weeks ago thinking that I was having chest pains. They ran chest X-ray, blood test, EKG and everything was normal. They said I had chest wall inflamation and gave me some painkillers. Well, the pain has gotten worse and now the pills don't help at all. Does anybody know what is going on?

Old 04-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Anybody know what is wrong with me?

You might check the symptoms of chostocondritis or slipping rib syndrome and see if these match your experience. Of course, any time you have chest pain, it's a good idea to rule out cardiac issues. Folks who have a history of costocondritis are more likely to die of cardiac problems, not b/c they have more heart issues, but b/c they are less likely to get checked.

After you rule out any internal organ problems (heart, lungs, etc.), you might want to make an appointment with a thoracic surgeon, as they seem to have particular expertise in pain throughout the rib cage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
(male)

GTfan HB User

[QUOTE=SweetPeainSF;4954775]You might check the symptoms of chostocondritis or slipping rib syndrome and see if these match your experience. Of course, any time you have chest pain, it's a good idea to rule out cardiac issues. Folks who have a history of costocondritis are more likely to die of cardiac problems, not b/c they have more heart issues, but b/c they are less likely to get checked.

After you rule out any internal organ problems (heart, lungs, etc.), you might want to make an appointment with a thoracic surgeon, as they seem to have particular expertise in pain throughout the rib cage.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't they have ruled both of those conditions out with the chest x-ray? Also, can you see chest wall inflamation on a chest x-ray?

Old 04-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

It sounds like they ruled out any internal organ issues on your trip to the ER. (I try to keep in mind that folks might be reading these posts other than the person with the specific question, who haven't been seen by a dr and are trying to self-diagnose.)

Costocondritis is often overlooked and typically does not show up in a chest X-ray. Costocondritis is inflammation found at the juncture between the rib and the sternum. Slipping rib syndrome also often does not show up on an X-ray, but involves a rib (or some ribs) popping in and out of place, either dislocating or subluxating. I have both: the costocondritis was formally diagnosed; the slipping rib is my observation that this rib which gets the costo is either "out" in the back or poking forward in the front.

I don't know whether chest wall inflammation shows up on an X-ray, but may have been the diagnosis based on your symptoms. These two conditions were merely suggestions, as they are often overlooked.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
(male)

GTfan HB User

[QUOTE=SweetPeainSF;4955320]It sounds like they ruled out any internal organ issues on your trip to the ER. (I try to keep in mind that folks might be reading these posts other than the person with the specific question, who haven't been seen by a dr and are trying to self-diagnose.)

Costocondritis is often overlooked and typically does not show up in a chest X-ray. Costocondritis is inflammation found at the juncture between the rib and the sternum. Slipping rib syndrome also often does not show up on an X-ray, but involves a rib (or some ribs) popping in and out of place, either dislocating or subluxating. I have both: the costocondritis was formally diagnosed; the slipping rib is my observation that this rib which gets the costo is either "out" in the back or poking forward in the front.

I don't know whether chest wall inflammation shows up on an X-ray, but may have been the diagnosis based on your symptoms. These two conditions were merely suggestions, as they are often overlooked.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the insight, it was very helpful. One more thing I have noticed that maybe you can help with. I have found that caffeine and alcohol make the pinching pressure worse. Is this a possibility with two conditions you mentioned?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Caffeine is a stimulant and could make your muscles more tense, which would cause your chest area to stiffen up. Alcohol can be either a stimulant or depressant, depending on the person and situation. If avoiding both of these helps, then by all means avoid them. You may have to taper off the caffeine, though, if you are a daily consumer, as sudden caffeine withdrawal can cause headaches.

Closed Thread