It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
(female)

Live4them HB User
4 weeks post op discectomy .. Could I have reherniated ??

I'm a little nervous , I'm 4 weeks post op and since yesterday I have been experiencing some scary things. Both times as I go to take a step I feel a very sharp pain in my back that shoots down my right leg .. It doesn't last long . Just a few seconds then it goes away . I'm so scared , I layed down with my ice . I haven't taken long walks for a few days but have been doing so much normal house work and climbing the stairs a lot . Could it be that I haven't been walking enough . I see the dr on Thursday for a post op visit . But am a little nervous till then , it feels like my back is going to give out or lock up . What is this

Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: 4 weeks post op discectomy .. Could I have reherniated ??

Hopefully you are feeling better by today. I think you are probably having a muscle spasm from the increase in activity...and may I add, try not to get carried away doing too much too soon! I'm not sure what you included in your housework, but in general, it is one of the worst things you can do for your lower lumbar spine, even under the best of conditions, let alone right after surgery.

You should not be sweeping or using a vacuum cleaner. Also, were you cleared to climb stairs "a lot?" I've never just had a discectomy so I don't know what the exact limitations might be, but I would say, if it has resulted in pain, it is too much.

Try lying flat on the floor with your knees bent, feet flat on the floor, arms close to the body with palms facing up. Just relax and take some nice deep belly breaths...and relax. Stay this way about five minutes (be sure the pelvis is neutral). This position is a natural form of traction that allows the discs to unload and for the muscles to let go and relax. If it is a muscle spasm, it should help to get them to stop guarding the injured area.

Remember that the surgically altered disc will take up to six months to heal and "cure" and become strong again. You will need to be vigilant during this time or you can cause it to reherniate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

I have a couple of "ew, my house is gross and I can't hold out any longer" suggestions. If you have to vacuum, hold the vacuum firmly at your side and walk with it, using your legs only to propel yourself. Don't lean forward, don't use your back, don't twist. Same with dust mops and wet mops. (Or use a robotic vacuum.)

Use dusters with a pole for up high and down low -- don't bend over.

When washing dishes, open the cabinet under the sink and rest one foot on the bottom of the cabinet.

Of course, most housework can be quite taxing on the back, but if completely unavoidable, these adaptations might help. Be sure to rest and try to break things up.

I hope that you find relief, and that you just had a flare.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

As far as I know, no one ever died from a dusty house. I'm beginning to think most Spineys are Type A who just cannot let the dust and dirt accumulate for a number of weeks while they recover.

You will find that it doesn't take much to set off a bit of pain or muscle spasm after you've had surgery. That's one reason I mentioned that position on the floor. Whenever you feel like you may have done too much, if you lie on the floor before the pain sets in, sometimes you can ameliorate the situation.

As SweetPea said, it is really important that you avoid any activity that involves lifting and twisting or bending and twisting at the same time. The activity combined with twisting is a particularly damaging combination for anyone with disc issues.

Have you been icing? How are you doing by today?

Old 04-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
(female)

Live4them HB User

Hi thanks for your advice , I think you were both right. I might have been going a little to crazy . Although I wasn't bending , I do believe I was getting a little to liberal with my movements. I went to the Doctor today. He doesn't think I did anything terrible wrong. Just reminded me what you both have said. Although I feel well and in my mind its already 4 weeks out , it is still pretty recent. He thinks I probably just aggravated the nerve since it comes on real strong but then goes away. He reminded me to listen to my body. If I feel a twinge then I might be over doing it. He wants me to start PT so I think it might help to see someone a couple of times a week ( hope my insurance co pays will be decent )

As for my house, I guess I am a little Type A , my kids help out but you know how that goes .. I guess I just got to ignore the laundry baskets and cleaning up. Overall I am glad I finally had the surgery , I was so scared of doing it but honestly was the best decision. Living with that pain before was just not living Thanks again for your support

Old 04-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

Husband travels often for work, so I have to find some way to get some housework done. I used to vacuum everything weekly, including flipping couches, but not so much anymore. For laundry, I bought a rolling clothes sorter. When I need to do laundry, I wheel the dirty clothes to the washing machine and only pick up small amounts of clothing at a time. The sorter has a rack so that I can hang clothes to wheel back to the closet. I also splurged on front loading washer and dryer with pedestals underneath.

Take it easy on yourself, and view those dust bunnies as signs your back is recovering.

The Following User Says Thank You to SweetPeainSF For This Useful Post:
Live4them (04-06-2012)
Closed Thread